Are you really giving your channel your all?

I literally just did a video about this.

Any type of passion without action isn't truly a passion.
I don't think this statement fits all scenarios. Some people just aren't very passionate people. Like.... I think there are people who are passionate about things they can't get themselves to jump on in terms of acting on that passion. Some people don't act on anything, some act on very little. Passion refers to the amount of emotion we feel inside regarding a particular subject, some people feel a universe of emotion toward something, but are hindered by doubt and self criticism. I just.. I get what you're saying, I just don't think it fits everyone.

I'm envious, when a video starts to take more than like 6 or 7 hours, I start short cutting. I need to become ok with not finishing the video in one day. Like, it's fine to put it away and come back tomorrow, I just can't stand doing that I want it done NAAAOOOOOOO lol
Yeah, I know the feeling quite well. Near the end I definitely get that, which I need to stop doing. I need to just take my time the whole way through to get the best product I can.

Now a' days, it's really rare for me to do a video in one day. The only one I have been able to do that was with a filler video I made "thank you" video showing off a NES Castlevania controller. (and a montage of me beating Castlevania.) And that 8 minute video took just under two weeks. I was pretty much working around the clock to get it done ASAP. But, frankly, it's gotten little reception. Oh well. What're ya gonna do? It's all a learning experience. :happy:

Also, it's kind of a curse for me, also. (taking so much damned time on these.) As I REALLY want custom thumbnails, and it's been over a month since I signed up as a parter, and still no luck. :cautious2: I believe it's because I can't upload too often, as I only have 5 videos currently. And apparently 5 videos isn't enough for custom thumbnails...bleh.

I don't think this statement fits all scenarios. Some people just aren't very passionate people. Like.... I think there are people who are passionate about things they can't get themselves to jump on in terms of acting on that passion. Some people don't act on anything, some act on very little. Passion refers to the amount of emotion we feel inside regarding a particular subject, some people feel a universe of emotion toward something, but are hindered by doubt and self criticism. I just.. I get what you're saying, I just don't think it fits everyone.

If you're scared of doubt and self criticism, that has nothing to do with a passion. That may stop your passion, but you can't let it. You need to be the best version of you, you can be. YouTube is great in that way. If you were fat two years ago, no one knows. If you had horrible acne, no one knows. You can be who you want.

A lot of people that I see trying to breakout don't have the work ethic to be a successful YT channel. I understand that not everybody can post everyday but are you giving it your all? A lot of people see the bigger channels and think that they got there overnight. They put in the work and its crazy that people think that they can get to the point they're at by being lazy. If you're an up n coming channel, you have to put in 10x the amount of work that the other channels do.

What I found that helped me was by going by this code: People may be funnier, more entertaining, have fancier intros, get more views, have better equipment, have more subs, etc. but nobody will outwork me. I started to post a new video everyday and when i'm not posting i'm doing any of these things:
  • Changing tags, titles, or descriptions of my videos.
  • Responding to comments on my videos
  • Promoting my videos
  • Watching YT videos on how to improve my channel
  • Thinking about ideas on what to do my next video on
  • Commenting on other people's videos in the same field for exposure.
Now, i understand that everybody cannot post everyday but you can send a tweet, comment, write down ideas, etc. You have to put in the work to just grow. I work my butt off everyday for my channel but for other people. A lot of people join for the money and get discouraged and quit their channel. You should do it for other people, for fun, but not for money.

exactly i put alot of effort into my channel (despite my slow start ive had this year)but i still have school going on not to mention i have no film crew so i can only get people to film every now and then but im the type of person id rather skip a few weeks for video planning than to upload a video that i didnt put much thought into.But, I keep my fans updated on my facebook page all the time.

I admit I'm half addicted to my channel I hold alone, but deep in my mind I know it's a big mistake. There is a healthy and beautiful life outside, many of us lose.
I have changed my behavior recently and stopped the uploads temporary to make more sport, study and be with my lovely girlfriend.
Don't get to YT world too deep, people, one day you will regret this. Share limited time with YT, not all day.

I admit I'm half addicted to my channel I hold alone, but deep in my mind I know it's a big mistake. There is a healthy and beautiful life outside, many of us lose.
I have changed my behavior recently and stopped the uploads temporary to make more sport, study and be with my lovely girlfriend.
Don't get to YT world too deep, people, one day you will regret this. Share limited time with YT, not all day.
I disagree. Well sort of, you can't NEVER get out this is true. But it really depends on the channel and the person I mean, some people are natural shut ins. And youtube is a pretty satisfying means of reaching the world for them. Some people also actually have the talent and ability to get somewhere if they put their all into this, some people don't. It's hard to say who does and doesn't, but for those that CAN make it, there is nothing wrong with devoting most of their time to trying to make it.
I agree that you need to socialize in the real world at least SOME. But I certainly don't believe that everyone who plugs away at youtube every day is going to regret. Some will find their lives changed by it. This is where it gets tricky because you have to honestly ask yourself "is this a hobby for me? Or do I have what it takes" And if you're too arrogant you might think you have what it takes when you don't, and if you're self esteem is too low you might think you don't have what it takes when you do.

I'm gonna be the horrible guy here, and say:
Hard work isn't going to make a big difference.

Clever work, efficient work, is going to make a difference.

It's not just about putting in hard work and it's all going to go awesome. This isn't some anime aimed at disillusioned highschoolers ;)
I really feel it's a shame that this forum is filled with people that are spending TONS of time making videos, but never bothered to stop thinking "Hey, could I do this differently, spend less time, with better results?". Even more so, many seem to be stuck in a circle on this forum (from what I can tell from my brief time here), and believe what is written, then tell that to others, who then post it, it gets read, believed, circle circle circle.

This is mostly seen in the "content is king" mentality here. Yes, good content is damned important, but it's hardly the end all be all. The proof is this is stuck all over YouTube, with amazing videos with 50 views. Great quality has never, in itself, been enough. Not on YouTube, no in business, not in products, not in anything. You need a mix of high quality, but just as big a focus on PROMOTION.

Hell, it feels like we need to invent a new saying: "If a YouTube video is amazing, but no one watches it, does it exist?"

I suggest people check out "reelseo" for starters, just googly google the guy.

You'll have to excuse the rant, but it's practically heartbreaking, reading that people are spending 7 hours on a video, and to see basic mistakes being made :(

I absolutely agree with this thread :D Plus that some pples dont upload upload a vid every day doesnt make their content not enjoyable xD It can be quality content :D But anyways nice thread ;)

It's not just about putting in hard work and it's all going to go awesome. This isn't some anime aimed at disillusioned highschoolers ;)

I really agree with your point - you have to consider time spent with potential gain. It may be that 8 hours more work may make your film 1% better, which Isn't really worth it.

On the flipside however, it's equally important to stress that a certain amount of hard work is still very necessary. The forums are full of people with 100 views and two films, asking how to get 10k subs... For them the answer is just hard work and lots of work too... And eventually, things will pick up slowly.

For me, one film got lucky on reddit, and things grew exponentially from there, but its not as simple as getting lucky either - you need a good film first before you even have a chance of getting lucky. It's a hard slog to keep making films for 50 views each time, and most will give up before reaching their potential...

I really feel it's a shame that this forum is filled with people that are spending TONS of time making videos, but never bothered to stop thinking "Hey, could I do this differently, spend less time, with better results?". Even more so, many seem to be stuck in a circle on this forum (from what I can tell from my brief time here), and believe what is written, then tell that to others, who then post it, it gets read, believed, circle circle circle.

This is mostly seen in the "content is king" mentality here. Yes, good content is damned important, but it's hardly the end all be all. The proof is this is stuck all over YouTube, with amazing videos with 50 views. Great quality has never, in itself, been enough. Not on YouTube, no in business, not in products, not in anything. You need a mix of high quality, but just as big a focus on PROMOTION.

Hell, it feels like we need to invent a new saying: "If a YouTube video is amazing, but no one watches it, does it exist?"

I suggest people check out "reelseo" for starters, just googly google the guy.

You'll have to excuse the rant, but it's practically heartbreaking, reading that people are spending 7 hours on a video, and to see basic mistakes being made :(
Define "promote". That's the thing this forum never has been able to tangibly answer for me. We know to post to FB, we know to post to twitter, we know to join forums like this one. What else is there? You're saying we should spend more time promoting. What would this time entail? If you're going to make a generalized statement about this forums circular thinking and how we don't understand how to promote, please specifically explain how we should promote so we can start sending that around this "circle" Graci :)

Back