Alternative to photoshop?

GIMP, Paint.NET and Photoshop Elements are all good options. Photoshop Elements would probably be my preference if you are willing to pay a little bit though I use full Photoshop so that is what I am used to. Hope this helps.

I love Gimp. BUT I also use Picasa, you can color and contrast correct, crop, save crop sizes, add borders, lots of filters, collage (have more then one image), change the overall size, email it to yourself (I open the email in my phone to post the picture on instagram), add type, and it's really good at organizing your pictures so you can easily find what you are looking for.

To be honest if you can make really good designs with the normal paint that comes with windows then why not lol. Depends on how fancy you're going to be getting with your thumbnails. I can make something like the picture below easily with paint. (Found this picture on google images from a yttalk thread lmao)
Thumbnail.png

Everyone will tell you different but i was personal raised using photoshop and i always worked with it so of course im going to go with photoshop, itll take time to get used to but its on google if you need help lol!

I use GIMP, im not the greatest at it but viewers tend to watch videos more when they have a custom thumbnail so thats why I do it. Im teaching myself better techniques and stuff but I definitely wasnt born a graphical designer lol

Back