Advice for creating a new children's channel about my grandson?

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
So, I am the proud grandfather of an amazing kid. He worships the ground I walk on and wants to be just like me. It is kind of funny though because neither of my sons took after my love of the outdoors. The main factor that influenced my grandson (I believe) to love the outdoors is my YouTube channel. He is my number one fan. When he comes to visit (daily) he wants to watch nothing but my YT videos of me doing outdoors stuff. He will watch them over and over again and cry if we tell him to stop watching them. It is kind of crazy because my channel targets mature adult males (ages 25 to 65), but I have at least one 3-year old fan.

So, I am thinking that I might create a channel just about him. ( Just FYI: His parents are on board) He has an extremely extrovert personality and is very smart. He is only three but has the language skills of kids twice his age. He is sharp-witted too. He constantly makes up his own jokes. He seems like a perfect candidate to become a YouTube star. Of course, I could just be a proud grandpa, but regardless of if that is the case, I think he is great and unique. I did his first video shoot yesterday at a city park. I took him fishing and he caught a bunch of fish with his new fishing rod, two of them were in the 5lb range. I captured hours of footage in 4K on four different cameras (different angles). I will start working on his first video soon.

So, why am I here? I am looking for advice. I have my own channel with almost 7K subs, so I know how to do YT. But I have never done anything for children. I know all about all the new monetization restrictions and will mark the channel as For Kids, so no worries there. But what other issues may arise? I am also looking for advice on picking a name. His name is Charlie. I was thinking about names like, "The Adventures of Charlie" or "Charlie's Amazing Adventures", or "Charlie the Adventurer".

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I am beginning to wonder if anyone is left on this forum? LOL!

Anyway. I got the channel up and running. The name I went with is "Charlie's Grand Adventures". Here is a channel link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT6uXyQmej7ubCRlUg1nj0A. I have never done children's video before so this is a learning process. A little advice from some children's creators who be appreciated.

Natasha Morgan

Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Wow, nobody replied!! Hmm, I joined this forum years ago and was wondering if it was still live myself actually. I have a French teaching YouTube channel of 18K subs and like you know how to youtube but when my daughter was born, in 2017 like you I wanted to showcase her content via my blog channel to my friends and family who adore her and miss her when they do not see her. And I think she's gifted with advanced communication skills like your grandson Charlie. With children's content or family vlogs it's a different ball game because people don't see it how you do and they need educating or entertaining. I believe it is very hard but if you keep learning from your audience on what they like and don't you can grow your viewership and watch time. Is the storyline the beautiful bond between you two - maybe that's the hook and the activities you do the secondary element. I'm learning to trim down my videos a bit if they are not How to, to make sure people don't get bored watching the quiet bits. I have watched your video and enjoyed it. Very cute seeing how much joy Charlie is getting from catching his own fish.

Reactions: Jungle Explorer

SteviesLilWorld

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I am beginning to wonder if anyone is left on this forum? LOL!

Anyway. I got the channel up and running. The name I went with is "Charlie's Grand Adventures". Here is a channel link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT6uXyQmej7ubCRlUg1nj0A. I have never done children's video before so this is a learning process. A little advice from some children's creators who be appreciated.
We're alive and here. I wasn't ignoring your post, but I didn't reply because I didn't have any constructive advice or words to offer you.
I figured my silence would be better than prattling off a bunch of stuff on a subject I knew nothing about :))

Reactions: Jungle Explorer

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Wow, nobody replied!! Hmm, I joined this forum years ago and was wondering if it was still live myself actually. I have a French teaching YouTube channel of 18K subs and like you know how to youtube but when my daughter was born, in 2017 like you I wanted to showcase her content via my blog channel to my friends and family who adore her and miss her when they do not see her. And I think she's gifted with advanced communication skills like your grandson Charlie. With children's content or family vlogs it's a different ball game because people don't see it how you do and they need educating or entertaining. I believe it is very hard but if you keep learning from your audience on what they like and don't you can grow your viewership and watch time. Is the storyline the beautiful bond between you two - maybe that's the hook and the activities you do the secondary element. I'm learning to trim down my videos a bit if they are not How to, to make sure people don't get bored watching the quiet bits. I have watched your video and enjoyed it. Very cute seeing how much joy Charlie is getting from catching his own fish.
Thank you. I believe that there are still people on this forum, but most if not all of the older experienced YouTubers that have constructive advice to offer are gone. Most of the new post I am seeing are from newbies. I was a newbie once and I greatly appreciated the advice I got on this forum from the "Old Timers". Unfortunately, I don't see any of the old timers left except for Crown, who is the Administrator. I try to offer what little advice I can give to the newbies, but most of them are into things I have no experience with.

I am glad you liked my video. Like I said, I have no experience making videos targeting children, so I know I have a lot of room for improvement. Charlie's loves his first video and watches it many times a day. As you saw in the video, he is a very exciting little three year old. Did you see how he grab the big fish, picked up, kissed and and threw it back? He does that kind of stuff naturally. Most three year old can not even handle a rod, much less reel in a 5lb fish all by theirselves, pick it up, and release it. He is like that about everything.