Advertising on YouTube: Does it work?

Daniel_Wood

Reaction score
Hello everyone, thank you for reading my thread.

I have been user of YouTube for many years and personally I think it's probably one of the best websites on the Internet.

Over the last few years more and more adverts from external organisations and businesses have appeared on YouTube. I don't have a problem with this; it's how YouTube makes money.

I am however interested in what you think. I'm currently completing my Business Management Masters Degree and I'm investigating the effectiveness of advertising on YouTube.

So, does anyone have any opinions about advertising on YouTube?
Does it work?
Are there particular types of adverts that catch your attention? Or do they generally annoy you?
Does being forced to watch a 5 sec clip of an advert frustrate you?
Do you generally skip adverts if you can?
What are people's thoughts??

Thank You

vizibilityzero

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I never watch tv. Sometimes the in stream ads play movie trailers, so in a way i would say yes, because i probably would've never known the avengers was coming out lol

Grimeguy95

Reaction score
Personally, if it grabs my attention in that 5seconds before it becomes available to skip i'll watch it, if not i'll just skip. Make adverts interesting in the first 5 seconds and you're sorted :)

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So, does anyone have any opinions about advertising on YouTube?

Paying for in video advertising on there I think will only really work for big companies selling things which people look forward to like new films, new games and the latest consoles, things like that I think will sell well and people will sit and watch, they come to YouTube to be entertained and if theyre presented with an advert that looks entertaining theyre more likely to watch it. I think beauty products would perform well on there too and new TV series.

Does it work?

For some things I think it can, selling things like new toothpaste on there could make people remember the brand or to pick some more up but I dont think people will usually watch those or be entertained and I think thats what advertisers need to sell on there, entertaining things, I am the type who pauses the TV adverts as they come on and fast forward them two or three minutes later so I dont have to watch them.

Are there particular types of adverts that catch your attention? Or do they generally annoy you?

Gaming adverts, film adverts. Other than those they are all skipped.

Does being forced to watch a 5 sec clip of an advert frustrate you?

It does if I am in a rush but usually no, I am just thankful I have the skip option :)

Do you generally skip adverts if you can?

Yes most of the time unless the first five seconds grabs my attention enough and I have a personal interest in what the ad is selling.

What are people's thoughts??

I think all in all it can work but mostly for entertainment, thats why people are on YouTube and if you have an entertaining product whether it be a new game coming out or a TV show people will check stuff like that out. If its the usual run of the mill car insurance, debt advice line, toothpaste stuff I think things like that are doomed to perform badly. I think people get enough of those on their TV :D

Kath

True Wub :wub:
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I actually don't mind ads on Youtube. It's only one or two ads here and there...plus it helps Youtube gain revenue to maintain a better site...PLUS it helps people make money who are truly working hard to put out good videos!!!
I think ads on Youtube DO work.......for more popular channels, they definetley do! For the smaller channels..well...you really need views for it to work. If you have 25 views on a video with an ad placed on it, chances are, you're not going to make any money off of that.
I cannot STAND ads on television...there are WAY too many, and it's the same ads over and over and over again during a show. I find that really frustrating!!!!

Reactions: Michael