Acoustic Foam and/or Acoustic Panels - Does Anyone Use Them?

Douglas MacKrell

The Internet's Foremost Sexpro
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey folks!

It's been a while since I've been active, but it's good to be back. I'm reaching out because I'm in the process of converting a small office/bedroom in my apartment into a film studio/production room. The space is roughly 9' by 6' with hard flat walls and high un-tiled ceilings. Even with a tall storage shelf filled with crafting materials for my store, and a heavy curtain up over it's only window, my voice just slams into the walls and reverberates back at me. My lavaliere mic cuts out a lot of this, but not as much as it does when I film in my larger living/dining area (this may also be because of the extra space and the tiled ceilings in this area of the apartment soaking up the sound).

My question is, has anyone else out there transitioned into a home studio and started using Acoustic Foam or Acoustic Panels - DIY or store bought? If so, how many/how much did you end up installing room percentage wise? 20%? 80%?!

Any stories of experience with the stuff would be greatly appreciated!

echoraven

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Since you mentioned lavaliere, perhaps you can have panels behind you lined with acoustic foam or some other material to absorb the sound. If your doing voice over, you can line a large plastic bin in mattress foam to make a poor man's sound booth (it's what I use when I'm not in front of the camera).

LadyFMG

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I know that quite a lot of big YouTubers uses it, especially gamers as it will reduce echo and improves the sound quality. I believe most of them have a patch of 2/3 square meters on the wall behind their pc, but when they have a studio I've seen that they covur op roughly 3 walls.

I'd say it's better to start of with a bit and see if it really helps in your case. it would be a waste to buy it and then find out there's barely any difference

WeiseGamer

Your #1 Source For Indie Gaming
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I've actually been really interested in checking out this stuff too. I think I'll go DIY and small surface first, see how that goes.

AlexGotBeats

Blessed & Cursed
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I have em i produce music its kind of essential for my playback/mixing and mastering process. I'd say about 30% of my room is covered in acoustic foam or panels they are. I have some on the wall behind the speakers and right across. Also on the ceiling and a little in every corner. Also i have thick carpet on the ground and curtains on the windows which is a bonus. I always think of natural things you can use like anything from cloth helps atleast a little like on 1 of my walls i have a snapback collection. Things like that it helps.

Reactions: echoraven

WarpCouch

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
This is a very difficult question without a little more information, I've professionally designed and built a ton of studios of all scopes with budgets from hundreds to hundreds of thousands, and the first question I always ask is: What is the room's primary purpose? What exactly are you going to do with this space and what is the end goal? Depending on a room's shape and size; placement, amount, and type of acoustic treatment will vary drastically...there is no one size fits all answer for it.

If you want to take things off this thread feel free to PM me and I'll do whatever I can to help out!

-WC

Reactions: WeiseGamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Without all the specifics on your setup I can recommend to buy a box of 10 from a good brand like auralex and spread them evenly behind your work area or where you are going to record. Alot of people go over board and cover entire walls but that doesn't do justice. For even better quality I'd buy bass traps and put them in every corner. Most of the things you hear when you playback is due to reflections in the corners.

Trainer11

Reaction score
Yes I now consider them a necessity after using them for a few years. If anyone is looking for a good brand I recommend these acoustic foam tiles. They do other colours as well which I like.