A Youtube Prankster Exposes An Easy Way to Go Viral

JB Clem

Posting Mad!
Popular Youtuber LAHWF(Alan Hales) makes a parody video exposing how easy it is to go viral on Youtube. Especially prank channels which uses titles that causes controversy like Hood Pranks, Racism Exposed, Gold Digger Pranks. Etc which stages prank/social experiment videos to manipulates people's emotions.

What are your thoughts about this.
 

Attachments

  • lahwf.jpg
    lahwf.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 27
I think that the title and thumbnail of a video should always match it's content, but I also think that videos should have titles that make people want to click on it.
My opinion is that as long as they're not being ignorant, and as long as the title isn't misleading, it's fine to use that as a title.
 
Yes, this is a common exploit on YouTube not only by "prank" channels but also by almost any other kind of spam/scam channel ("vloggers" especially). The exploit is based on the predominance of relatively young and easy to impress YouTube audience.
[DOUBLEPOST=1420602854,1420601893][/DOUBLEPOST]
What are your thoughts about this.

My more general thoughts are: If you use such important topics as racism, sexism, child abuse etc, etc, for the main if not the only purpose - money making - you are a low life form - period.

Otherwise such videos usually do not violate any YouTube rules because both title, thumbnail and content (as far as there is any) are "relevant" to the topic.
 
Honestly it's the exact same reason that reality TV has become so big.
The keys to most viral videos are:
1. Shareable. Not too long or short. Right length for the medium.
2. Controversy. It has to contain something that makes people want to show others as validation of their feelings, good or bad.
3. Strong imagery, concept or event. Something that sticks in your mind.
So these videos fall under that unfortunately.
 
I do believe as well that most viral Prank/Social Experiment videos are staged. I worked in broadcast TV and I've been told stories from producers about faking pranks. You can have an idea on which are staged. I enjoy prank videos like most do, but most of them have a sense of staged-ness to them. All I do is forget about the reality and think of it as fiction and enjoy the video anyways.
They found a living doing it. Had better results.
Is it ethical? Morally correct? Maybe not. But it's up to them. As a viewer I laugh at the pranks and share them to make others laugh. As long as they're believable I don't mind.
LAHWF has seemed pretty affected be this for a while now. He finally spoke what he felt clearly. It's too bad he took the video down and didn't stand by his word.
It will be interesting to see how the pranksters react (if they even do).

oh and it's f'ed up if the youtuber tries to raise money with a staged social exp.
 
Last edited:
I do believe as well that most viral Prank/Social Experiment videos are staged. I worked in broadcast TV and I've been told stories from producers about faking pranks. You can have an idea on which are staged. I enjoy prank videos like most do, but most of them have a sense of staged-ness to them. All I do is forget about the reality and think of it as fiction and enjoy the video anyways.
They found a living doing it. Had better results.
Is it ethical? Morally correct? Maybe not. But it's up to them. As a viewer I laugh at the pranks and share them to make others laugh. As long as they're believable I don't mind.
LAHWF has seemed pretty affected be this for a while now. He finally spoke what he felt clearly. It's too bad he took the video down and didn't stand by his word.
It will be interesting to see how the pranksters react (if they even do).

oh and it's f'ed up if the youtuber tries to raise money with a staged social exp.

The video is back up on Youtube now. He got a copyright strike because he used footage from various prank/social experiment videos.
 
hmmm. well yeah I can see how pranks go so viral... as long as its not obscene I am ok with it. Unfortunately there are A LOT of obscene pranks ( just from the top of my head, a man EXPOSES himself to people on the streets)

I think they work so well because they have very little risk in being a least a little entertaining. Just like pop music will at least make you bob your head a little. But when you look to more thoughtful content it has to be "your cup of tea" . So you will either LOVE it or Despise it.
 
Back
Top