A question about tags...

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
I'm getting a bit confused with tags.

Going through some of my older videos and just seeing how they rank, some rank highly for highly searched terms, yet don't get the views. For instance I rank number 6 for the word 'salad' which is highly competetive, I also rank 4th for 'steak sandwich' again a highly searched term. I'm not seeing the views reflect that though. On the other hand my most popular video with over 5k views so far, is a brioche bun recipe. The thumbnail is not nearly as good, but yet that seems to get views. I don't get it. I don't want to sound big headed but the steak sandwich video has one of my best thumbnails i've ever produced, so I don't think it's that. Surely it stands to reason that if I rank highly for a often searched keyword...i'd get the views to reflect that right? Or am I completely missing something lol

confused. The brioche video only had a few tags instead of the whole section filled like I pretty much do now, so maybe i'm getting penalised for too many tags? Who knows lol

(edit)
Now i'm even more confused...... SO looking at my search rankings on tube buddy for tags it clearly says I rank number 4 for 'potato salad' right?
view

Yet when I use a different browser and i'm not logged in to youtube, i'm not showing up at all on the first page. Which kind of negates the point of tubebuddy, and all the hard work I put in to writing a description, tags and titles!

Last edited:
Having a look now and the main thing I noticed is that the brioche video has been up a lot longer and has more time to collect views. I'd say check in a few months to see if the steak one does better in the long run.

Also, that is the downside with Tubebuddy, it only shows your rankings in relation to your own account which is why it doesn't show up when not on your account. Just keep going! Watched the steak one and really enjoyed it so keep pushing through :)

When I search for "steak sandwich" your vid does not show up on front page. Neither does my Tb show any ranking for that tag for you.
You are ranking #2 for "pebre sauce" on Tb, and #3 on Yt search results.
Tb is best used in a clean browser with no login.
Your on-page seo is great! I would recommend to add another keyword phrase to titles though.

Untitled.jpg

When I search for "steak sandwich" your vid does not show up on front page. Neither does my Tb show any ranking for that tag for you.
You are ranking #2 for "pebre sauce" on Tb, and #3 on Yt search results.
Tb is best used in a clean browser with no login.
Your on-page seo is great! I would recommend to add another keyword phrase to titles though.

View attachment 39888
Oh i seeeee! Got ya! Right, that makes much more sense to me now haha. Thought I was doing something wrong. I'll take your advice and add another keyword to titles in future. Thank you for the help :)[DOUBLEPOST=1489841992,1489841853][/DOUBLEPOST]
Having a look now and the main thing I noticed is that the brioche video has been up a lot longer and has more time to collect views. I'd say check in a few months to see if the steak one does better in the long run.

Also, that is the downside with Tubebuddy, it only shows your rankings in relation to your own account which is why it doesn't show up when not on your account. Just keep going! Watched the steak one and really enjoyed it so keep pushing through :)
Thanks Matty. I've added a few more keywords to the brioche one to see if that make a difference to views. I guess I should take tube buddy with bit more caution lol. It is really useful though. Thanks for the advice man, appreciate it :)

Back