10 Things that could trip you up as a Youtuber

Sibernethy

Questin' for a Jestin'
Reaction score
Website
www.sibernethy.com
Channel Type
Gamer
There's a ton of great advice on how to produce quality content, making it more discoverable, and general information you need to get a start on Youtube. Let's say you're just starting out and you're wanting to make a good impression.

Or you're like me and you have a small audience already. Your video can be great and your commentary can be excellent, but for some reason, people are either still not interested in you or there's something that you're missing inside. You might even be aware of some of these things I'm about to call to your attention.

Here are 10 things I've either witnessed in myself or other Youtubers that can turn people away from your content:

1: Poor writing.

One of the red flags I see is when someone advertises their content and I see 4, 5 or more spelling/grammar mistakes in the title alone. If you're looking to buy something from an online store and the description looks as if it was written by a 6-year-old, you're almost never going to take it seriously. It's the same with Youtube channels. Make sure you have an acceptable use of spelling and grammar. A few typos here and there are usually forgiven, but if all people see is error after error after error, you have a serious problem.

2: Age

This may be an unfair reason but it's still there and being a Youtuber under the age of 13 exposes you to a lot of bad influences. If you go to any Youtuber's channel and it's run by a 10 year old, look at the like/dislike ratio. At best, they're about 66% liked and it's consistent throughout their videos. There are a number of behaviors that people of that age may engage in that compound the problem but really it boils down to age and the potentially hostile environment that they're just stepping into when starting their channels. Kid Youtubers or "Squeakers" have an inherent disadvantage against all the others, which is why I started my channel later in life.

3: Dislikes match likes

How many people go on Youtube specifically to find videos that by popular vote are considered garbage? Probably the only case I can think of is for research purposes. But other than that, people are going to click away as soon as they notice Red winning the tug of war against Green. If you have 1 like and 1 dislike, that's another story. Someone may have trolled the dislike button and the video's actually worth watching. But if you have 30 likes and 35 dislikes, you have a problem. And if those numbers keep showing up, there's something wrong here.

4: Little or no personality.

People just have no time for your content if there are hundreds of other Youtubers doing exactly what you do except a better job of delivering it. By personality, I don't mean zingy, zany, sometimes obnoxiously overactive (that can actually put people off), I mean a personality that is distinctly yours, strongly felt, and strongly expressed. It should feel as natural as anything, and if it doesn't, people can sense that and it rubs them the wrong way. Usually you can spot it before it really catches on to other people. Have personality. If you don't, people are drawn to where it is and will leave you.

5: Lack of character and/or credibility.

Nobody wants to listen to a phony. You've seen what happens when a Youtuber does something unacceptable. The conscience was given to you for a reason. If you're on good terms with it, then you'll know what is right and what is wrong. If you make your conscience step aside while you tend to a little "business" behind the corner, people can easily read through that and know that you're out of step with yourself. And if you've already been called out on stuff like that, work to rebuild your character and earn the trust of your viewers back. It can be done.

6: Pressure from the audience.

Remember, you're a Youtuber, not a slave. Put your own welfare first and treat your peace of mind as a sacred thing. You may lose viewers in the short term if you refuse to record a certain game or review a certain movie but the ones who are loyal to you will see that you have a spine for staying true to what's right and best for you, and you'll feel better knowing you made the right decision. On the other hand, if you submit to pressure from your audience, you'll end up regretting some of the things you do, and people still won't be satisfied. They'll want you to do more, they'll start making bigger and bolder demands, and that can't lead anywhere pleasant for your future as a Youtuber or for your life in general.

7: Lack of maturity.

This is where adults (sometimes) have a huge advantage over the children and teens that go into Youtube. We've lived longer, we've gotten hurt more times, we've made more mistakes, but we've learned more painful lessons that life couldn't teach us any other way. If you're really young, the pain you'll experience from your mistakes will be multiplied because not only will you be aware of your faults but your audience will too, or worse, the people who they share your embarrassments with. Lives have been destroyed because of an outburst or an ill-advised action on the part of a Youtuber (even Pewdiepie is guilty of this). Don't let that happen to you.

8: Lack of compassion and/or empathy.

People are hurting in today's world. People do not understand themselves or other people. Many are constantly paying the same price over and over again, struggling to shoulder the burdens they've accumulated throughout their lives. Everyone has problems in today's world; you shouldn't be one of them. Show some compassion towards the less fortunate. Be sensitive (but not susceptible) to other people's problems. Do what you can to help them if possible but watch yourself to make sure they don't become your problems, too.

9: Lack of self-esteem

This is something I'm still trying to conquer. I was raised with low self-esteem and I was always terrified of what people thought of me. I grew up with tremendous anxiety which led me into a lonely existence for a long time. Self-esteem is essential if you want to have the inner strength, the vigor, the enthusiasm, and the discipline to overcome the many challenges you'll face as a Youtuber. Fight the good fight while the fight's still in you. As Napoleon Hill once said: "don't measure your future by your past. If you do, you're sunk." It's absolutely true.

10: Your actual reasons for being a Youtuber.

Sometimes people make the mistake of going into Youtube, thinking they'll get rich and famous, even if their intentions are good. The fact is Youtube is not for everyone, nor should be. You can't enjoy the long and difficult journey of a Youtuber without a purpose behind what you do or at least a cause to take up that's larger than yourself. I have a reason for going into Youtube and it's based on turning misery into joy, fear of life into the joy of living, and the Jester incidentally was the ideal persona for me to adopt in carrying out that mission.

When selecting your reasons for going into Youtube, leave yourself out of the picture, have a noble purpose, and trust me, the promise of your future will be well worth the price you pay for it.

If you had the patience to read the entire thing, I want to thank you and congratulate you for your time and patience. This is indeed a long post but it covers information I feel needed to be elaborated on.

Reactions: Electricbrae

Tomba

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Now that's a high quality post! isn
You've sparked my motivation to have a bit more character in my videos it's really hard to do so when your mother tongue isn't English.

I'm into my fifth video on YouTube and it's not going bad, soon I'll hit the soft spot with my language.

Thanks for this post!

Regards
Your favorite dandelion

Reactions: Sibernethy

Sibernethy

Questin' for a Jestin'
Reaction score
Website
www.sibernethy.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Now that's a high quality post! isn
You've sparked my motivation to have a bit more character in my videos it's really hard to do so when your mother tongue isn't English.

I'm into my fifth video on YouTube and it's not going bad, soon I'll hit the soft spot with my language.

Thanks for this post!

Regards
Your favorite dandelion
I feel your pain. I'm learning Serbian right now and my command of it is less than glorious to say the least!

Tomba

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I feel your pain. I'm learning Serbian right now and my command of it is less than glorious to say the least!
Luckily I am not absolutely garbage at speaking English, I haven't had YouTube caption me wrong more than six words across my six videos which makes me feel more accomplished!

But soon enough I should get the hang of it, it just takes a while longer to translate Swedish to English in my head.

Are you planning to speak Serbian in your videos or is it a fun project?

Regards
Refrigerator

Sibernethy

Questin' for a Jestin'
Reaction score
Website
www.sibernethy.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Luckily I am not absolutely garbage at speaking English, I haven't had YouTube caption me wrong more than six words across my six videos which makes me feel more accomplished!

But soon enough I should get the hang of it, it just takes a while longer to translate Swedish to English in my head.

Are you planning to speak Serbian in your videos or is it a fun project?

Regards
Refrigerator
I've tried at least once. Grammar is terrible but the video got a very positive response from some of my viewers. :)

Yes, I plan to when my Serbian is good enough, but my main language will always be English in my videos.

10ACITY

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
'How many people go on Youtube specifically to find videos that by popular vote are considered garbage? Probably the only case I can think of is for research purposes. But other than that, people are going to click away as soon as they notice Red winning the tug of war against Green.'

Ahem...Infinite Warfare Trailer...

PS: Great post!

ThePythnator

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
#2 is so sad, but true. I see a lot of younger kids making videos and are pretty smart, but they just have that high pitched voice that just turns people off.

Miss Medi

Retro Games and Things!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
A great post and all true, I would also add a lack of originality. You should be able to identify what makes your video or series unique to all the other similar videos on the same subject - even if it's a small difference.

ThePythnator

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
A great post and all true, I would also add a lack of originality. You should be able to identify what makes your video or series unique to all the other similar videos on the same subject - even if it's a small difference.
It's very tempting to imitate or even copy what has made someone else really popular.