Zoom H1 poorer then my DSLR???

IftiBashir

Undiscovered....
I recently purchased a Zoom H1 for voiceovers, although I don't know whether its just me, but Im not convinced the quality is better then my lapel mic attached to my DSLR??

In this video I used the audio from an Audio Technica ATR-3350 lapel mic attached to my DSLR:

And in this video Im using a Zoom H1:

Is it just me?? Does the Zoom H1 sound better or worse??

FYI, The Zoom H1 has a windscreen attached, recording in WAV format, is on a tripod, about 10-15 inches away from my mouth. The gain is set to around 85, and even then in my editor I have to turn the loudness up by 20%.

With the lapel mic on my DSLR I do nothing at all.

I wanted to use the Zoom H1 because a section of voiceover can be around 40MB or so, whereas on the DSLR, because I have to record video at the same time it could end up being 500MB or a GB!! But if its at the expense of audio quality Im not sure sure its for me!

Am I doing something wrong, or is the audio better to you? Is it just me??!!

Plug your lapel mic into the zoom! iirc that's mainly what it's meant for, quite possible it has worse audio.

Ive tried several settings - looked up on settings others use etc - but just not getting it as good as I thought it would be.......

I told you to get the Tascam, :) does the H1 have a built in pre-amp? In my experience the on camera DSLR pre amps compensate for their lack of quality by introducing lots of gain. That is what I hear in the two examples. The first one is more muddled, the second is noticeably clearer. You have to keep in mind that the more professional the equipment, the less plug and play it will be. I think what you might be hearing is less lower frequency response. You may have to break out an EQ to "tune" your voice to where you want it. Think of it this way, when you shoot video with a camcorder everything is set to auto and you get decent results. With a DSLR you end up having to set white balance, shutter speed, ISO, and apeture to get the results you want. The end result from the dslr is much better but there is a learning curve.

I told you to get the Tascam, :) does the H1 have a built in pre-amp? In my experience the on camera DSLR pre amps compensate for their lack of quality by introducing lots of gain. That is what I hear in the two examples. The first one is more muddled, the second is noticeably clearer. You have to keep in mind that the more professional the equipment, the less plug and play it will be. I think what you might be hearing is less lower frequency response. You may have to break out an EQ to "tune" your voice to where you want it. Think of it this way, when you shoot video with a camcorder everything is set to auto and you get decent results. With a DSLR you end up having to set white balance, shutter speed, ISO, and apeture to get the results you want. The end result from the dslr is much better but there is a learning curve.

Ah thanks!
Sorry Im not to good with Audio - so with my above examples you feel the second one is better??
Thats the one with the Zoom H1 being used - maybe I need tokeep playing with tweaing the settings etc further.......

Yes. With my Tascam the "volume" also seems low. I have to boost it as well. Even raising it 12db it remains clear because the source signal is clean.

Back