YouTube's CEO's 3rd quarter update

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
susan-brandcast.jpg

Link - https://youtube-creators.googleblog.com/2018/10/a-final-update-on-our-priorities-for.html

Extract:

Dear Creators,

Since 2005, YouTube has transformed from a single video at the zoo to a global video library where billions of people turn to each day for knowledge, creativity and connection. Today, YouTube is a diverse community of creators who are building the next generation of media companies and drawing fans from every corner of the world. You are making history and changing the way people watch video, engage with each other and share their voice. I feel honored to help you do this, and I continue to be inspired by what I see.

In the last year, the number of channels with over 1 million subscribers has increased by 75%. Each month, more than one billion fans come to YouTube to be part of music culture and discover new songs and artists. Building on that momentum, we’ve expanded YouTube Music to the UK, Ireland, Germany, Austria, France, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Russia, Canada, Denmark, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg and Brazil. We also rolled out three new stories on Janelle Monáe, J Balvin and Shawn Mendes in our YouTube Artist Spotlight series over the last few months. And we launched 13 YouTube Originals in the last quarter, including three in Germany and two in France.

All of this is possible because of the creative economy powered by you. However, this growing creative economy is at risk, as the EU Parliament voted on Article 13, copyright legislation that could drastically change the internet that you see today. Article 13 as written threatens to shut down the ability of millions of people -- from creators like you to everyday users -- to upload content to platforms like YouTube.

Click for the rest of the blog post

Susan Wojcicki, CEO of YouTube

Video on her channel:

I keep hearing about the EU Article 13 thing... :/ Is that going to shut down Youtube for people living in EU countries or something? That seems kind of extreme....

Article 13 as written threatens to shut down the ability of millions of people to upload content to platforms like YouTube. It could put hundreds of thousands of jobs at risk, including those of European creators, businesses, artists and the people that they employ.

European viewers are also at risk of losing access to billions of videos from creators from all around the world, including content that is already live. This includes YouTube's incredible video library of educational content, such as language classes, physics tutorials and other how-tos. Europeans would be cut off from the latest cultural moments being created and shared on the Internet.

I mean, the language in that quote sounds a bit hypothetical, but I don't know what aspects of Article 13 are making Google come to those rather extreme conclusions....

Each month, more than one billion fans come to YouTube to be part of music culture and discover new songs and artists. Building on that momentum, we’ve expanded YouTube Music to the UK, Ireland, Germany, Austria, France, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Russia, Canada, Denmark, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg and Brazil. We also rolled out three new stories....

Message is clear, we get more profit from music companies and artists, so, you little people have to stand against this article 13 or we have to delete you. Not our fight though. Love. Susan.

However, this growing creative economy is at risk,

c'mon... Growing creative economy and (new trend word) ecosystem is, are, startups, indipendant audio and film making individuals and small companies to big production houses worldwide.

She might have to start using Google, searching Vimeo, film contests, audio and music free or paid platforms. (just my opinion...)

Youtube already stiffled growth and economic prosperity for many channels. Did not need no article 13 to do it. That video is just fluff and buzzwords to make you feel good or like they are looking out for you.

Back