YouTube will soon only display rounded down sub counts

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Source: https://support.google.com/youtube/thread/6543166

Currently, all creators with over 1,000 subscribers see their subscriber counts displayed differently in different places across YouTube desktop and mobile apps. In some cases, the subscriber count is abbreviated (e.g., 133k) and in other places we display the full count (e.g., 133,017).

To create more consistency everywhere that we publicly display subscriber counts, starting in August 2019, we’ll begin showing the abbreviated subscriber number across all public YouTube surfaces. Third parties that use YouTube’s API Services will also access the same public facing counts you see on YouTube. Creators will still be able to see their exact number of subscribers in YouTube Studio.

So what exactly will this look like? For channels with fewer than 1,000 subscribers, the exact (non-abbreviated) subscriber count will still be shown. Once your channel passes the 1000 subscriber milestone, we will begin to abbreviate your public subscriber numbers on a sliding scale.

thread-6543166-14199668593215529114.gif

Here are a few examples:
  • If a channel has 4,227 subscribers, the public subscriber count will read “4.2k” until the channel reaches 4,300.

• If a channel has 133,017 subscribers, the public subscriber count will read “133K” until the channel reaches 134,000.

• If a channel has 51,389,232, the public subscriber count will read “51M” until the channel reaches 52,000,000.
We know subscriber counts are extremely important for creators and fans alike, so we wanted to give everyone a heads up a few months in advance of this change! We’ll share more specifics with creators as we get closer to the August 2019 date.

Source: https://support.google.com/youtube/thread/6543166

I thought this was so lame when they started showing view counts this way. it's like they want the traffic their site generates to look less dramatic. I honestly don't understand the reasoning behind a lot of their changes.

It doesn’t matter! Sub number is a vanity metric. I know oh woe is me. I have 1,112 subs and now it says 1.1k. Honestly so what? We use YouTube to watch videos not sub counts. Though thanks to the screamer (I forget his name, who cares, he’s a loser anyway) getting dethroned who knows anymore?

It doesn't make much of a difference to me. I think it really only applies if you have over 1,000 subs though. Which I myself and many others do not have.

Plus if we did would it really matter in the long run? Not really.

On your dashboard, and in your analytics, you will still see the whole number. Only the public number (and API) will show the abbreviated count. Overall I don't see this as anything to worry about. If you use a 3rd party tool (TubeBuddy, for example) they will only get the abbreviated number, but you still get your whole number, so no big deal.

Back