YouTube testing picture-in-picture on the web

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Source: https://9to5google.com/2018/03/15/youtube-web-picture-in-picture-test/

Extract of article:

youtube-pip-1.jpg

YouTube for Android and iOS have long featured a floating video player so that users can minimize what they’re watching and continue browsing. The Google video site is now testing this remarkably convenient functionality on the web.

This picture-in-picture player is currently being A/B tested for a small subset of users. On the 9to5Google team, it is only available on one account, though it is working through several sign-ins, including on Chrome and Safari for Mac and Chrome OS.

If rolled out to your account, you will be able to start a video and then click anywhere on YouTube — including returning to the homepage, performing a search, or viewing a channel. The audio will continue to play as a sizable floating window appears in the bottom-right corner of your screen.

Controls include the ability to play/pause, replay, or watch the next clip, which consists of an overlay of the following video. The name of the video is displayed underneath, while full playlists can be viewed and scrolled by tapping an icon in the bottom-right corner.

Rest of the article: https://9to5google.com/2018/03/15/youtube-web-picture-in-picture-test/

_________

Pretty cool right? I hope they roll this out for everyone. Thoughts?

YouTube for and have so that users can minimize what they’re watching and continue browsing. The Google video site is now testing this remarkably convenient functionality on the web.
Pretty cool right? I hope they roll this out for everyone. Thoughts?
For the people who want to reach or stay within the 240,000 minutes per year threshold, I am sure they will love it, especially if the minimized videos count towards the watchtime in the analytics.

For me, I prefer the viewers to watch my videos on full screen and see every detail and everything and comment even on the most unnoticeable details, so I can improve and improve.

When I was streaming, many of the viewers just used a separate device to watch my stream, while they were doing something else on their main machines (computers, tablets etc). It's much better than PiP and not so annoying. I see many news web sites already have this PiP feature and it is very irritating trying to read an article with some video playing in the corners of the webpage, stealing precious premises of my retina and brain activity.

This is exactly what I realized I wanted a few days ago and I couldn't find anything that could do it. I like to watch youtube while I read manga online so this would be jawsome.

EDIT: whoops, I didn't read the whole thing. You can't leave youtube or it will close the window I guess. Bleh.

I do not know if anyone will watch this way a video
but it seems helpful on phone tutorials maybe and
for sure I would use it for music/audio listening
without having to have them in the phone.
I mean a few clicks and voila playlists
by genre or mood or even TEDx talks...
:)

I just call that opening a new tab :p

But I guess I could see myself using it if I was watching a video for the audio only but was still browsing for something else.

Makes sense, this seems to be a natural evolution of the way that people use the internet .

Everybody multi-tasks, I find myself browsing autotrader online on my pc whilst watching netflix on the TV and answering emails on my IPhone.

Now I can multi-multi task!

I really like this feature on my smartphone! BUT, I have noticed that I tend to get distracted by an even better video that I see while browsing, and I click away from videos more than I would with a PC that doesn't have the feature. I think implementing this might cut people's attention spans even shorter than they already are, but at least they're staying on the site....

This is something I didn't know I wanted. I use it on my phone; I'd probably use it less on a desktop but it could be useful for music and searching for the next song without having to open a new tab.

Back