YouTube royalty free music - Can I download it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

My first question is one that has been plaguing me for sometime.

In my videos I often include a soundtrack over stuff that isn't live action. Problem is, I fall foul of the copyright issue and am unable to monetise those videos. This is a shame as one of the ones in question has almost 100,000 views now !!!

I noticed recently that YouTube themselves supply royalty free music. However, I can only add it to my completed videos, which have their original soundtrack muted. I don't want the action parts of the video muted !!

So, my question is, how can I include the YouTube royalty free music without having the whole of my soundtrack muted? Are the YouTube tracks downloadable ?

Thanks

ww2relichunter

Hi all

My first question is one that has been plaguing me for sometime.

In my videos I often include a soundtrack over stuff that isn't live action. Problem is, I fall foul of the copyright issue and am unable to monetise those videos. This is a shame as one of the ones in question has almost 100,000 views now !!!

I noticed recently that YouTube themselves supply royalty free music. However, I can only add it to my completed videos, which have their original soundtrack muted. I don't want the action parts of the video muted !!

So, my question is, how can I include the YouTube royalty free music without having the whole of my soundtrack muted? Are the YouTube tracks downloadable ?

Thanks

ww2relichunter
I didn't even know YouTube give you royalty free music! Where is that at?

Yep.

'Edit' one of your videos and then click on the 'audio' tab along the top menu bar. Right hand side of the screen gives you suggested tracks. You can search them and add to your video, setting the start and end points as you wish. However, it mutes your original soundtrack so go easy with it as it could ruin your hard work !!!!

You should mix your own audio with a copyright free track in your own computer. For instance with garageband or iMovie and then upload them to Youtube. To monetise from Youtube you must use music that is not registered with the YouTube Content Management System. Otherwise the money always goes back to Youtube.

Thanks for answering a question I didn't ask and giving me information I was already aware of, which prompted my original question !!

Can you answer the original question ??

Legally they can't be downloaded, no.
Technically it's not a problem of course but I don't think that was the intent of your question.
Hope this helps ;)
Cheers,
Mike

So, my question is, how can I include the YouTube royalty free music without having the whole of my soundtrack muted?
And that's only possible if you mix them in your computer first. Youtube has no mixing or editing function.

With Shane's confirmation we can come to the conclusion:
--> You must download the music to your computer and do the mixing/editing
--> Youtube does not allow legal downloads of it's music
Conclusion: nope, no can do that sir ! :(

To clarify one point in your post "Problem is, I fall foul of the copyright issue and am unable to monetise those videos". You are fully aware if this but some forum readers aren't so I explain in brief:
If I compose a track myself I have full copyright by law. If I upload the track to Youtube I won't make any money from it. Copyright and monetizing are two different things.
Only if I register my song to the YouTube Content Management System I may get paid.
I have made tracks for clients where I still have the full copyright to the song, but I allow the client to register the song to Youtube.
Copyright is mine but the client gets the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back