YouTube Phasing Out 30sec Unskippable Ads

paullaskovids

Well-rounded punk
YouTube is going to be removing 30 second unskippable ads in the year 2018. I, for one, am in favor of this as a viewer. 30 seconds is a long time to sit through an annoying advertisement that you can't get rid of. I question, though, how this will affect montetization and if we will see a reduction in revenue due to the elimination of this format.

engadget.com/2017/02/17/youtube-ending-30-second-unskippable-ads-2018/

Yeah that will be interesting to see how it will affect monetizing videos. But I am also in favor of this. I hate sitting through a 30 second ad more than anything! I wish it was sooner haha!

I'm sure they'll be keen to pay out less than the peanuts they already do. Especially since there are so many more successful channels than ever before

Im a bad youtuber...I use ad blocker. When im watching on my phone though 30 seconds is long, but it depends. If im watching a 30 minute video, 30 seconds is nothing even if im watching a 10 minute video no problem. One time i was watching one of my videos to just see it on youtube...there was a 1:34 unskippable ad for the super bowl. I was p****d! that literally ruins all my chances of getting views because who is going to sit through an ad that long???

Im a bad youtuber...I use ad blocker. When im watching on my phone though 30 seconds is long, but it depends. If im watching a 30 minute video, 30 seconds is nothing even if im watching a 10 minute video no problem. One time i was watching one of my videos to just see it on youtube...there was a 1:34 unskippable ad for the super bowl. I was p****d! that literally ruins all my chances of getting views because who is going to sit through an ad that long???
You+monster+how+could+you+do+such+a+_363d2e0809b557e0798b6aa0f16f7624.jpg

^ haha

I am in favor of getting rid of longer unskippable ads. 15 seconds or less is ok, but if someone has a 30 second unskippable, I will enable ad block or just not watch the video. If they do it too frequently, I will just unsub.

I watch the ads of all my favorite channels, but for youtubers I am not familiar with, I can't invest that much time in an ad if I might not even like the content.

Ah, that's an interesting development! I wonder if a higher percentage of shorter ads will become unskippable, to make up for it.

Seems to me the problem is that 30 seconds is too long, and most people just back out. A shorter unskippable video will be more tolerable. I think the result will be an increase in revenue.

That's interesting, I know the ads help for monetized videos so wonder how it will work out but at the same time sometimes I get annoyed with them and don't want to wait. lol

I think the move might convince people to turn adblocker off, so they'll get more ad impressions. It's interesting that they're announcing it like "we're aware these ads are an issue that you don't like and we're going to get rid of them.......next year".

I wonder why there's a long delay between the announcement and implementation.

Back