YouTube on a resume?

Now uploading videos to a corrupted website is considered a worthy notable feature to include in a resume? Meh, why the hell am I even surprised about today's standards anymore.
Your negativity does not deter me. It IS a business. It IS a legitimate form of entertainment. It DOES require skill, time, and expertise to do it at a high level. I spend hours a day, and have to file taxes.
I see many of your posts are negative. Hope everything is ok with you.

Last edited:
Your negativity does not deter me. It IS a business. It IS a legitimate form of entertainment. It DOES require skill, time, and expertise to do it at a high level. I spend hours a day, and have to file taxes.
I see many of your posts are negative and/or spam. Hope everything is ok with you.

No no no, I'm not trying to deter you at all. I'm just speaking my own idea about how I think it is. I know YouTube's a legitimate form of entertainment and business, but I was just kinda becoming strike'd about the idea of it being put on a resume.

Don't take any personal offense to what I've said, I'm sorry if I've came off as rude.

BTW Where the hell did you get "spamming" from with me? I mean, yeah, I get the negative part, but spam? THAT'S a new one.

No no no, I'm not trying to deter you at all. I'm just speaking my own idea about how I think it is. I know YouTube's a legitimate form of entertainment and business, but I was just kinda becoming strike'd about the idea of it being put on a resume.

Don't take any personal offense to what I've said, I'm sorry if I've came off as rude.

I didn't take personal offense.

Those of us that treat youtube like a business need to learn these things inside and out:
-SEO
-Video editing
-Public speaking
-Copyright law
-Branding
-Public relations
-Web development (for me at least)
-Technical expertise (things such as bitrates, qualities, computer specs, proper mic use, etc.)
-Video production (chroma-keying, proper lighting and camera work, etc., color correction)
-Social media expertise (not using social media to share a picture of a sandwich, but to grow an audience for use in ad sales)

These tasks are no different from many jobs in radio, television, and IT/tech work.
I agree, filming your cat on your phone in portrait view and uploading it to youtube takes almost no expertise or skill. Youtube has the full range of individuals. I know many individuals are here because they treat the site like a business. They want to grow their customer base, improve service, etc.

Youtube is a tool. No different from a hammer, it can be used to bash things around or make something great.

A lot of big-name (and semi-big name) YouTubers have YouTube on their LinkedIn resumes. I would suggest looking up a few of them and seeing how they phrased their YouTube careers on their resumes. Some of them are brilliant to me, but I always feel so odd naming names.

My channel is just taking off and I already feel like it's a part-time job. I'm totally putting it on my resume and CV. The YouTubers i've spoken to who do this as a career do quite a bit more than film, edit and post videos. Managing a YouTube brand is no joke. I mean, some people have hired staff to help them do it. They'd put that work on a resume. Doing it all yourself deserve a place in past experience.

[EDITED to add detail and correct a tiny misspelling.]

Last edited:
Honestly, I like the idea, but I think unless its something relevant to the job I'd probably leave it off. Also, depending on the channel, swearing, drinking, etc. aren't going to do you any favours.

Many people have gotten confused in this thread that this is for a job. It is for a graduate admissions application. They request a traditional resume with the rest of the application.

So, I have completed my application. I wrote something similar to "Created and managed a brand identity across multiple media platforms, totaling over 675,000 public impressions for use in ad sales"

I explained it in my personal statement, but didn't focus on youtube. At the core what we are doing with our channels is building influence and selling influence. For me at least, this is not only on youtube but also on other social media, my website, in-game, in person, in live events, and "fingers crossed" on my mobile app I am building.

Us youtubers provide most of our "value" to the community through entertainment on youtube, but our reach extends past that.

I focused on building a brand, selling ads, video production, web design, and the diversity of individuals I am able to interact with.

I think that really depends on the job you are applying for, and for how long your career has been. For example, since I am now a Web Analyst, I stopped adding in my experience as a teacher, my 8 months working retail, the 5 years I had a part-time office job back in college, etc. Those work experiences are not relavent to my current career.
A good point. You should also have different CV's/Resume's that you use when applying for different types of jobs.

Hey guys, I am in the middle of updating my resume.
What are your opinions on using youtube as a resume item?
Perhaps titling it something other than "Youtube," maybe something talking about social media ad sales, video production, or something of that sort...

I wrote a post similar to this the other day. It really depends what sort of positions you will be applying for. I for example am in the communications, TV, and marketing industry. Thus, showing that I've gained a large following in under a year on YouTube looks pretty good. Especially if you tack on other social media pages surrounding your YouTube. I don't put it on my resume under "work experience" but I add it into my "summary" at the top of my resume. I also include it in my cover letter explaining what I've learned from it as many people (especially older ones in the corporate world) still don't understand the value, time, and skills used to maintain a decent YouTube channel.

If you are applying to be an accountant, doctor, or construction worker...I don't think YouTube will help you much on a resume. Haha. =P

Back