Youtube as an actual job.

At the end of the day, if you make enough money to survive on YouTube alone then why not call it a full time job.

Hello guys I'm gonna be moving out of my mothers house in a couple of months, that's when I start as a chef intern.

However I've gotten to the point where once I switch networks, get 90%+ gross with a good network, and manage my views/subscriber increases, where Youtube could actually be considered a part-time job for me.

At the moment I only get 65% at a bad CPM, yet I still manage about 20 dollars a day which isn't bad at all. 20 times 30 that's 600 dollars in one month, think in 7 months time (if Socialblade is right) I'll have 100.000 subscribers, and 25%+ earnings (and that's without counting the CPM increase)

Should I consider Youtube as a part-time job? And start to be super carefull about what music I use and stuff like that? Have you ever considered Youtube turning into a job?

I would never consider this my "job" but if it consistently payed the bills I would quit my part time job and study more for my career. Ultimately only you can decide if it is or isn't worth it. Maybe use it as extra money for savings?

Uberdanger your channel's doing really well and it will continue to grow as long as you keep providing content your viewers enjoy.
I don't think you have an issue there. :)

What I would do is start your chef internship and keep running your channel as a side job for extra money. In case something happens, like YouTube changing it's monetization policies etc or everyone on the internet decides to no longer watch let's plays and game footage online you always have your chef internship to fall back on. ;) If you do grow to say 200,000 subscribers you can negotiate better and longer lasting contracts which may push you to doing it full time. That's my 2c worth, keep both options open.

Btw, if you're ever wanting a cartoon intro for your channel, let me know :)

Uberdanger your channel's doing really well and it will continue to grow as long as you keep providing content your viewers enjoy.
I don't think you have an issue there. :)

What I would do is start your chef internship and keep running your channel as a side job for extra money. In case something happens, like YouTube changing it's monetization policies etc or everyone on the internet decides to no longer watch let's plays and game footage online you always have your chef internship to fall back on. ;) If you do grow to say 200,000 subscribers you can negotiate better and longer lasting contracts which may push you to doing it full time. That's my 2c worth, keep both options open.

Btw, if you're ever wanting a cartoon intro for your channel, let me know :)
A cartoon intro someday may be awesome :D I'll definately message you if I need something similar.

I think in today's economy it doesn't really matter what you can and cannot call an "actual job". If it makes you money, enough money to satisfy basic needs like food and a home, why not try to do it the best you can and give it the time it deserves?

It surprises me when people give out advice like "Don't do youtube to get famous or earn money" or "You'll have the most success just doing it for fun"... Guess what, the bigger part of the population has a job that earn them money but is not necessarily something they'd like or even love to do. If I'm in a position where I can turn something I love into something that can guarantee my living conditions I'll bloody well turn it into my "job"!

If you are someone who thinks Youtube can only be a hobby and has given the advice above, answer this question honestly: If your channel were to blow-up tomorrow, 10.000s of views a day and network offers, would you turn them all down and say "No thanks, Youtube is just a hobby and I'd rather stick with my sidejob" or would you seize that opportunity and get to work on improving the quality of your channel, your videos and you brand?

Ofcourse you would! And that is where the difference lies between people who give out advice like above, and people who love making videos so much they want to make it into a career! People who are so passionate about making videos that they would like to do it for the better part of their life! If you see youtube as a hobby, that's fine! But don't go around telling people they shouldn't aspire to make a career out of it!

UberDanger, please take this opportunity if you have the chance! I know if I had that chance and didn't take it, I'd slap myself silly when I'm old and reflect on my life... All the best to you sir, I am eager to follow your journey :)

*Also, I didn't mean to rant or be mean to anyone. If you feel offended by what I posted, please accept my sincere apologies!

I have been talking to a few people that DO this as a job or part of it. However they have over 100,000 subscribers and as someone that only has just under 200 this is second hand information.
Its all about making yourself a brand in whatever niche you cover this will allow you to branch out into other things whih pay, get your name noticed therefore giving you more subcribers/views and earning more money.
Weldone on your subscriber count thats fab! How ong did it take you to get there?

Jen x

I think in today's economy it doesn't really matter what you can and cannot call an "actual job". If it makes you money, enough money to satisfy basic needs like food and a home, why not try to do it the best you can and give it the time it deserves?

It surprises me when people give out advice like "Don't do youtube to get famous or earn money" or "You'll have the most success just doing it for fun"... Guess what, the bigger part of the population has a job that earn them money but is not necessarily something they'd like or even love to do. If I'm in a position where I can turn something I love into something that can guarantee my living conditions I'll bloody well turn it into my "job"!

If you are someone who thinks Youtube can only be a hobby and has given the advice above, answer this question honestly: If your channel were to blow-up tomorrow, 10.000s of views a day and network offers, would you turn them all down and say "No thanks, Youtube is just a hobby and I'd rather stick with my sidejob" or would you seize that opportunity and get to work on improving the quality of your channel, your videos and you brand?

Ofcourse you would! And that is where the difference lies between people who give out advice like above, and people who love making videos so much they want to make it into a career! People who are so passionate about making videos that they would like to do it for the better part of their life! If you see youtube as a hobby, that's fine! But don't go around telling people they shouldn't aspire to make a career out of it!

UberDanger, please take this opportunity if you have the chance! I know if I had that chance and didn't take it, I'd slap myself silly when I'm old and reflect on my life... All the best to you sir, I am eager to follow your journey :)

*Also, I didn't mean to rant or be mean to anyone. If you feel offended by what I posted, please accept my sincere apologies!

Not really wrong, just very short sighted...

I am sorry, but what can you pay with US $ 600.00 a month? Even if we would talk about 3x that money, US $ 1800.00 isn't much money today anymore, especially if it is coming from a source that can stop any time!

Did you never thought about that youtube might stop in 2/5/10 years down the line or maybe even replaced by some new kind of platform? What if some MIT geek comes up with "THE NEW THING" in 3 months time and youtube will not generate you that income anymore? If your $600.00 turn into $50.00 a month? How are you going to pay your rent, your health insurance, etc.? And are you actually paying taxes for the money you make on YT?

If a YT channel would generate let's say $2500 - 5000 a months over a consistent period of 12 months, ok, consider it with having put that money you made in this year on the side for what ever might come, but with this little money, use it to pay your internet bills, your Starbucks coffee and some good time going out.

I use the little money that I get form my channel to pay for the internet or to go to the cinema once in a while, or save it for something I want to buy.

Be careful mate, internet jobs are not the safest and it can be finished any time.

cheers

Back