You *sure* you want branding?

Mae B

Posting Mad!
Hey! So.. I've been thinking a lot about the extent to which I want my channel and associated videos to be branded and designed. To a lot of people, being a "YouTuber" means having decorated thumbnails and awesome channel headers and click-baity all-caps video titles and intro music and outro music and names for their fanbases etc etc etc you know what I mean.

But when you watch other YouTubers, do you actually like them to be so branded? Or is there a threshold where you go, "damn I really miss when they just spoke awkwardly to the camera without all the extra stuff"? (I tend to think the latter). My question is.. how much branding do you like to see? how much branding turns you off? will take a YouTuber seriously without loads of branding?

I like to keep all that stuff in the back of my mind honestly at least until I have enough of a subscriber and view count to consider becoming a "brand" xDD

If you don't at least change your profile picture from the default I don't really think I can take you seriously. I don't care what your picture is by in my opinion if you are going to make videos on a regular basis your profile pic should be something besides the default. Whenever I see comments made on videos by people with the default pic I usually associate it with an account with no videos.

I guess it all depends on what type of content and who watches your videos, but honestly at least have some branding. Too much can be annoying but if it is well thought out it is all good.

If you don't at least change your profile picture from the default I don't really think I can take you seriously. I don't care what your picture is by in my opinion if you are going to make videos on a regular basis your profile pic should be something besides the default. Whenever I see comments made on videos by people with the default pic I usually associate it with an account with no videos.

I guess it all depends on what type of content and who watches your videos, but honestly at least have some branding. Too much can be annoying but if it is well thought out it is all good.
for sure—a profile photo is a must. and probably some sort of channel header i would think.

I guess I was just talking about your channel banner, I realize you don't have thumbnails. But I like your banner.
i used to have thumbnails that consisted of a screenshot i liked from the video and text with the title of the video, but i wasn't happy with them and found them tedious. now i just choose a screenshot i like from the video. i may start designing thumbnails again in the future, who knows..

Back