Will Adding CC to Old Videos Hurt or Help Views

Jessica Hill

I know now that editing old videos resets the YT algorithm for that video, so it's considered a no-no. Does this same advice hold true for going back and adding close captioning to an older video?

If you're adding new data for the algorithm to scrub, I don't see how it can hurt you unless the data is completely irrelevant to the video.

And where did you get the idea of editing old videos being bad? If those videos are underperforming, I would totally recommend adjusting titles, thumbnails, etc.

Yeah its worth doing. I do a lot of my videos and notice 30% or so that use the captions are in a language other than english. So thats a small portion of people that are now watching and giving my better watch time retention that may not have watched the video if they had no subtitles to read.

That advice on captions sounds very reasonable. If just captioning videos in multiple languages wouldn't involve THAT much work.
Wish I could use Google Translate for adapting already existing English captions to German. That would be a great help. (Yes, I'm German).
As it's that much of a hassle, I rarely put up CCs to my videos.

DeepL translator is what i use. There are less comedy translations. You may have to do in halfs (what the hell is worng with my halfs word that is underlined in red.. i hate spelling) as its 500 word limit. Well at least as a German it should be easier for you as (like all/most Germans) you can speak English. Us brits can only speak our own language. I tried to impress an gurl once with the German I remembered from school but sadly announced that ich bin elf. :( lol

DeepL translator is what i use. There are less comedy translations. You may have to do in halfs (what the hell is worng with my halfs word that is underlined in red.. i hate spelling) as its 500 word limit. Well at least as a German it should be easier for you as (like all/most Germans) you can speak English. Us brits can only speak our own language. I tried to impress an gurl once with the German I remembered from school but sadly announced that ich bin elf. :( lol
Probably because the correct spelling is 'halves' lol

Back