Why do some top Youtubers only upload 720p?

So you guys don't think 720p has more view time (minutes watched) than 1080p or some other strategical stuff?

1080p can affect the viewing flow for users who skip through the video or users with marginal internet who always click 1080p instead of auto.

It's the matter of rendering time and also storage space (which makes HUGE difference).

Most of the viewers don't see much difference between 720 and 1080 (but it depends on the type of content) so 720 is simply enough.
I notice a pretty big difference... I guess with my types of videos clarity is more important as I often showcase the power of my GoPro. If I was doing pranks and stuff like that then the content itself would be most important. My most viewed video is 240p, and my second most viewed is 144p.... They are viewed mainly for what's happening and not the quality.

We are a top 400 channel who only switched over to 1080p a few months ago. Prior to that it was all 720p source material although we would render in 1080p for the final. We have a mostly child audience for whom picture quality isn't a big priority, and 720p was sufficient for our needs and didn't tax the computer too much.

I notice a pretty big difference... I guess with my types of videos clarity is more important as I often showcase the power of my GoPro. If I was doing pranks and stuff like that then the content itself would be most important. My most viewed video is 240p, and my second most viewed is 144p.... They are viewed mainly for what's happening and not the quality.
As I said it depends on the type of content. PewDiePie fans watch his videos because of him. So the video quality is not so important.

But if someone is a movie maker then hell yeah! You better get this 1080p.

720p - 4 minute videos take 7 hours to upload for me. They might have the same problem.
1080p - 4 minute - 16 hours.

These are projected times by YouTube.

Reactions: RBG
1- It´s faster and easier to manage 720p files.

2- Most people´s screen aren´t Full HD.

3- While watching something on a small screen, the difference between 720 and 1080 is not very noticeable.

4- It´s a waste of time.

It really does not take that much more time. Especially if you're a youtuber who makes a living out of it, you're going to have a good enough rig.[DOUBLEPOST=1435020755,1435020690][/DOUBLEPOST]
1- It´s faster and easier to manage 720p files.

2- Most people´s screen aren´t Full HD.

3- While watching something on a small screen, the difference between 720 and 1080 is not very noticeable.

4- It´s a waste of time.
Really not a waste of time.. x.x

It really does not take that much more time. Especially if you're a youtuber who makes a living out of it, you're going to have a good enough rig.[DOUBLEPOST=1435020755,1435020690][/DOUBLEPOST]
Really not a waste of time.. x.x

It takes enough extra time for some people to decide that it is simply not worth it. Plus, and as i said, the vast majority of the viewers will still watch the videos in 480p, so why bother about 1080p? I just don´t see a good enough reason to do it, unless we´re dealing with a project that relies a lot on image quality, like a movie, for example.

It takes enough extra time for some people to decide that it is simply not worth it. Plus, and as i said, the vast majority of the viewers will still watch the videos in 480p, so why bother about 1080p? I just don´t see a good enough reason to do it, unless we´re dealing with a project that relies a lot on image quality, like a movie, for example.
If it's your job, you really have no excuse. Heck, even if it isn't your job you should still do your best quality wise. Sure, lots of people might not watch in 1080p, but some will, and there's a good chance that they will stick around if the quality is good enough.
I have my YouTube set up to automatically play the highest resolution, won't usually bother if it is sub 720p

Back