Why Did Activision Ban My Black Ops 3 Ember Analysis Video?

sk00ter

Hey guys,
So I got on the check how my video was doing on the new Call of Duty Black Ops 3 Ember Teaser video and it came up that the video was banned. It said that it has copyrighted material in it. Which it did. I reuploaded their Ember teaser video discussing some key points. It doesn't make sense to me though because tons of other Youtubers inclusing TmarTn, Chaosxsilencer, Drif0r, prestigeiskey, and so on did the same exact thing. They have close to and above a million subscribers to me measly 47. How did my video get a copyright strike & theirs didn't? Is there something special I have to do? If someone has dealt with this or knows what I have to do please let me know. I want to post a breakdown video of the reveal trailer this Sunday, and now it isn't looking possible.

Thanks.

It's probably because the companies allow those guys to show footage of their trailer because they a million subscribers. How much of the video did you show?

Probably because of use of their video or something like that. The laws on copy right can be a foul mistress [emoji1]

This is what the "everyone wins" generation of children are giving to the world. A lack of understanding that opportunity is NOT equal, the world over. :)

Hey guys,
So I got on the check how my video was doing on the new Call of Duty Black Ops 3 Ember Teaser video and it came up that the video was banned. It said that it has copyrighted material in it. Which it did. I reuploaded their Ember teaser video discussing some key points. It doesn't make sense to me though because tons of other Youtubers inclusing TmarTn, Chaosxsilencer, Drif0r, prestigeiskey, and so on did the same exact thing. They have close to and above a million subscribers to me measly 47. How did my video get a copyright strike & theirs didn't? Is there something special I have to do? If someone has dealt with this or knows what I have to do please let me know. I want to post a breakdown video of the reveal trailer this Sunday, and now it isn't looking possible.

Thanks.

Typically, with game footage, you have to keep a running commentary over the audio, but even then it's likely to get strikes against it. The easiest way to avoid the hassle of this is to join a network… something everyone you named as an example has done (they each in either Machinima or Fullscreen). If you're in a network, the network will either have permission or fight for you.

While you can fight YouTube on it yourself, it's generally not worth the effort (which is why most gaming channels are network affiliated).

Typically, with game footage, you have to keep a running commentary over the audio, but even then it's likely to get strikes against it. The easiest way to avoid the hassle of this is to join a network… something everyone you named as an example has done (they each in either Machinima or Fullscreen). If you're in a network, the network will either have permission or fight for you.

While you can fight YouTube on it yourself, it's generally not worth the effort (which is why most gaming channels are network affiliated).

Nope, it's nothing to do with that at all.

ContentID as a system matches like for like. It cannot match basic gameplay footage as the video feed is different for every player. This is why trailers and cutscenes are the biggest culprit for matching because they are identical every time. Outside of that, the system matches audio but most of the time, only songs are actually uploaded into ContentID, rather than basic game sounds.

ContentID hits networks and non-networked content.

Commentary over the game footage only has the potential to confuse ContentID in the case where the audio feed contains copyrighted songs as it can change the audio sufficiently as to cause ContentID to be unable to recognize the track. This is generally why you will see a match midway through a song and during a gap in conversation.

The whole commentary issue has always been a red herring. Commentary in a news/review/editorial style does have a fair use exclusion, however for some reason gamers like to think that commentary means talking. It's not that simple. Playing a game and talking about how your school life is going is NOT commentary in a fair use context. The vocal track for commentary purposes must be regarding the video footage itself. And still, all of that has nothing to do with ContentID automatching which is a totally indiscriminate system that doesn't care about fair use.

Reactions: RBG
Trailers are promotional material. For big titles publishers make deals with large entities in the game journalism business to give them exclusive rights to the trailer for a brief period of time before making it publicly available. This forces the public to watch that newly released trailer on the specific site/channel that made the deal, providing them with extra income. On the other hand they obviously pay a lot for those rights, so the copyright holder protects those who hold those rights from those who don't.

Long story short, 'because others are doing it' is not a valid reason to just do something yourself. That's not how the world works. They are big channels, you are a small channel. They can make deals, you can't. That's the gist of it.

Back