Which mic should I consider getting?

DeantheDinosauce

Cartoonist/Animator
I've pin pointed two microphones which would improve my voice over on my videos, I currently use a Creative Fatality that is VERY picky when it comes to picking up my voice, if I put it too close to my mouth I get a weird bowing effect and loud pops from my breathing, if I put it too far away it sounds like I'm holding my nose and talking.

My environment can get fairly noisy, I record in the main room which also contains the fridge and the fridge sometimes turns on and makes a weird noise which my current mic picks up.

The two mics I've considered are the Audio Technica AT2020 and the Blue Yeti.

The Blue Yeti will pick up background noise even on the cardoid setting which will sort of ruin the voice over, whereas the Audio Technica seems to be very isolating which is good. A long with a pop filter and the only thing I'll need to make sure it up to scratch is my writing and talking.

Which one should I go for? (This isn't me in the video, I found it on YT)

Watching this, I'd say the blue yeti, the third and fourth setting were extremely clear I think and noticeably louder in a good way then the AT2020, hope my opinion helps , salute*. with that said I could hear a a bit of background noise, just a bit though.

I say the Blue Yeti from my own personal experience from using it. if you aim the back of the mic towards your fridge and have the cardoid setting on, it may reduce the fridge noise. I can't say much for the audio technica though

I've pin pointed two microphones which would improve my voice over on my videos, I currently use a Creative Fatality that is VERY picky when it comes to picking up my voice, if I put it too close to my mouth I get a weird bowing effect and loud pops from my breathing, if I put it too far away it sounds like I'm holding my nose and talking.

My environment can get fairly noisy, I record in the main room which also contains the fridge and the fridge sometimes turns on and makes a weird noise which my current mic picks up.

The two mics I've considered are the Audio Technica AT2020 and the Blue Yeti.

The Blue Yeti will pick up background noise even on the cardoid setting which will sort of ruin the voice over, whereas the Audio Technica seems to be very isolating which is good. A long with a pop filter and the only thing I'll need to make sure it up to scratch is my writing and talking.

Which one should I go for? (This isn't me in the video, I found it on YT)

if you are looking at the AT 2020, so am I. I have found a similar mic that may also suit your needs. its called the Avid M Audio Producer USB Mic, it's a bit in between. best deals are on amazon

if you are looking at the AT 2020, so am I. I have found a similar mic that may also suit your needs. its called the Avid M Audio Producer USB Mic, it's a bit in between. best deals are on amazon

Thanks for the recommendation, I pulled a sound test up on YouTube and it sounds brilliant.

I'd go with the AT2020 myself, but then I'm not a fan of USB microphones. Be aware that "good" microphones come in either USB or XLR for connection type and you will need an appropriate interface for each. Also ensure you look up whether the mic requires phantom power or not.

I would also counsel against relying on a pop filter. They certainly can help, but if you play with the mic position you can eliminate popping that way as well. It's all about learning how to use your tools properly. Generally having the mic positioned about a hand width in distance away from your mouth at an angle roughly in line with your cheek. Talking directly into the mic forcing air to impact with the mic diaphragm is what causes the pops.

Back