When to quit your real job for YouTube?

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Just a heads up, you shouldn't post your numbers here because it can get your YT acct demonetized if someone were to report. Its technically "against" YT policy. Just watching out for your hard work ;)

But yep! exactly this! I also think the bigger you are the better ads you get on your channel so thats a good thing also. And last month like you said was a good month but dropped a good amount this month sadly. The other thing would be the unknown for the future 10/15 yrs from now who knows what ads will pay or if that alone, YT gets changed quite a bit. My biggest fear is YT can get so greedy and take even a bigger chunk of our profits. Then they will miss out on all of that work experience if things get bad for YT for their resume.
never heard of that rule. have a reference? seems like you wouldn't see any of the "how much did youtube pay me for xyz viral video" videos if that was the case. i didn't post exact numbers anyway just ballpark. ad rates for me have been holding out decent this month. i would expect them to tank again after christmas. ad rates this year for me tanked right as they were starting to recover from the post Christmas crash and then corona hit and they really tanked and never really fully recovered all summer.

i don't see ever being able to full time my youtube channel unless iv got 500k+ subs and some good sponsorship deals my yt revenue doesn't even cover parts cost for most of my video's but its all stuff id be doing anyway but it would be very hard to full time it without another source of income.

roly

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
When you are..
1) making more money than your real job
2) you have 6 months post-tax-dollars living expenses in the bank.

That way if youtube suddenly fails you, you have 6 months to find a job. I wouldn't wait for 'stability'. Youtube will never be stable. Being a youtuber is not a 9-5 gig, if you need that stability, then never quit your job. I say take a risk. A calculated risk with that 6 months cushion.

fixedsnuffle

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Other
How cool. I would be inclined to keep the job for a while longer. In saying that I can see how it would be tempting to go all in with Youtube. Could you start to work less hours? Perhaps change your schedule and slowly transition?

LandyVlad

Super Poster
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
OK some things to consider.

It's wise not to trust YouTube (or any other social media or technology company). Remember they are in it for THEIR profit not your benefit. The only reason pays some people to make YT videos is because it draws ADVERTISERS to YouTube.

If business are in a tight financial situation, or unable to operate for a period of time (eg Covid) the advertising demand goes down, YT advertising income goes down and so the money they pay you goes down.

If you are currently working for someone else as an employee then you are probably getting paid superannuation (over and above your hourly wage), and if the the USA for example probably healthcare benefits too.
If self employed, those things you need to pay for, so you need to ensure your income is sufficient to cover all those things not just your current hourly rate.

Just my $0.02

Good luck to you whatever you decide ! :)

LandyVlad

Super Poster
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Oh and also - Doug de Muro makes a fair bit of $ from YouTube undoubtedly but he is also diversifying his portfolio to have a business that is independent of YouTube but which he can effectively advertise for free on YouTube.

Carsandbids.

ThriftyAV

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
My Adsense + Amazon Affiliate revenue is about 10% of my day job income, so it's not something I can seriously consider right now. That being said, if my channel keeps growing exponentially, I will face this question in a few years. YT as a "job" does not feel very secure. Too many channels get de-monetized for very little reason. Also, my job pays for a significant portion of my medical insurance, and I'm at the age where retirement doesn't seem so far away.

So even when my YT revenue exceeds what I make at my day job, I will continue to work. I may take an "early retirement" option if it is offered, however.

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Definitely. I like it when people give a lot of thought to what they post. It really shows in this case.
not everyone can put words together like this guy can. I have a feeling people will be quoting this guy's comment for generations and generations. I'm just happy I got to experience it in real time. In 10 years time, we will all remember where we were when we first read this comment.

Reactions: Jack Decker