When recording with a DSLR camera...

You can flash the firmware of the camera to unlock more features and functions etc.
If the firmware messes up though you could brick the unit in some cases.
On the other hand - if you are looking to use auto mode most of the time, do you really need extra bits to mess about with?!

Never tried it myself - havent had the need - but does look pretty comprehensive!
Pretty much no risk of that happening! Buying a DSLR and using auto mode only would be (pardon) very very silly. You get DSLR's for more control and quality over your image.

Pretty much no risk of that happening! Buying a DSLR and using auto mode only would be (pardon) very very silly. You get DSLR's for more control and quality over your image.

No its not silly. Someone who is new to DSLR's would very much start with using it in auto mode and slowly move on to setting changes as they learnt and picked up on how to use the camera.
Flashing firmware etc is for more advanced users who want further control of camera settings.

Pearl is new to DSLR's and is not technical. She needs to start with the basics - using auto mode for now while slowly learning her way around the camera. If she feels limited after that, then flashing the firmware is the next step.
What is silly, (in my personal opinion) is telling her to flash the firmware with MagicLantern and start using it straight away when she is a complete beginner to DSLR's in the first instance.

Just my opinion of course ;)

No its not silly. Someone who is new to DSLR's would very much start with using it in auto mode and slowly move on to setting changes as they learnt and picked up on how to use the camera.
Flashing firmware etc is for more advanced users who want further control of camera settings.

Pearl is new to DSLR's and is not technical. She needs to start with the basics - using auto mode for now while slowly learning her way around the camera. If she feels limited after that, then flashing the firmware is the next step.
What is silly, (in my personal opinion) is telling her to flash the firmware with MagicLantern and start using it straight away when she is a complete beginner to DSLR's in the first instance.

Just my opinion of course ;)
Magic Lantern is really p**s easy. better start off with the UI and learning from there. Of course you have to start with the basics, but hopefully you won't leave it at that! I'd recommend looking up every video on the Vimeo Video school to do with DSLR's

Wow, I read all 55 posts in this thread and I've learned a lot about the DSLR camera lol. I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread because I have been curious about those types of cameras.

Back