When recording with a DSLR camera...

IftiBashir

Undiscovered....
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
They've got the swivel screens! Older models or not, they both have amazing quality, 1080p and can do RAW with MagicLantern
Ah didn't realise they had swivel screens - although they do the task at hand I personally always go for the most recent model I can afford in order to take advantage of the developments as well as maintain longevity.

I can't be asked messing about with flashing and MagicLantern etc. Like the OP, I want a simple to use device that does everything required. I can't see @Pearl wanting to flash the firmware and mess with MagicLantern etc.

Styxie

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Ah didn't realise they had swivel screens - although they do the task at hand I personally always go for the most recent model I can afford in order to take advantage of the developments as well as maintain longevity.

I can't be asked messing about with flashing and MagicLantern etc. Like the OP, I want a simple to use device that does everything required. I can't see @Pearl wanting to flash the firmware and mess with MagicLantern etc.
Honestly flashing MagicLantern is really easy and takes tops 5 minutes! You can pretty much remove DSLR recording limit with it too.
The more recent features sometimes aren't worth the few hundreds dollars tbh.

Pearl

Sleepyhead~
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
Well, then! What is MagicLantern! Damn you and your tech-talk! :D Lmao <3

IftiBashir

Undiscovered....
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Ooh, is this a software for the camera? :D
You can flash the firmware of the camera to unlock more features and functions etc.
If the firmware messes up though you could brick the unit in some cases.
On the other hand - if you are looking to use auto mode most of the time, do you really need extra bits to mess about with?!

Never tried it myself - havent had the need - but does look pretty comprehensive!

Pearl

Sleepyhead~
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
You can flash the firmware of the camera to unlock more features and functions etc.
If the firmware messes up though you could brick the unit in some cases.
On the other hand - if you are looking to use auto mode most of the time, do you really need extra bits to mess about with?!
Dunno, man. I know nothing about tech. xD

IftiBashir

Undiscovered....
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Dunno, man. I know nothing about tech. xD
Personally, in your case I would buy the camera you choose, and get used to it a little before you decide whether or not you want to flash the firmware to get the extra tweaks etc.
TBH stuff like MagicLantern is for the more advanced user that wants to really tweak settings to the smallest detail.

Pearl

Sleepyhead~
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
Personally, in your case I would buy the camera you choose, and get used to it a little before you decide whether or not you want to flash the firmware to get the extra tweaks etc.
TBH stuff like MagicLantern is for the more advanced user that wants to really tweak settings to the smallest detail.
Yeah, that's a good idea :) I should get to know my camera first :) heheh!