what video format?

GamerKeebzy

A Wild Keebzy Appears!
hey guys,

So i generally use either WMV or AVI, this is for hi def btw, but i noticed a few people us MOV, is there a definitive answer on which is the best for youtube? rendering time is an important factor to me as well, it cant take too long.

Let me know what you guys think :D
Peace!
Keebzy

It really depends on the raw video footage, for me personally our old camera would render massive mt2s files in full HD, I would then put them in Vegas and render as WMV11, for me thats my personal favourite because it retains a lot of the quality and the file sizes whilst kinda big, aren't ridiculously large and worth the upload wait. I would never recommend uploading AVI files unless theyre small or you have to for some reason, I know when I have rendered 5 minute videos as AVIs they have been a good few gig in file size.

I have only used MOV when I have had to when exporting intros and animation type videos, I dont have any experience with MOV other than that nor any of the others available in Sony Vegas.

Its probably best to see what others recommend too, I know a few people here use the Sony format but I havent any decent experience with it :)

I encode from .avi to .avi, raw uncompressed FRAPS video to h.264 at 720p. I could do 1080p with just a quick settings flip but I'm not focusing on 1080p for my channel just yet. Then I queue up several and let them encode over night.

I have tried a few different formats and found the results to be very similar. Of late I have been using an 720p Mp4 with h.264 and found that's what works best for me. However it all really depends on your work flow and what your original footage is. I'm using a Mac and final cut pro so formats and codecs like pro res, quicktime and Mp4s all work really well with my system. I have a friend who is on a PC and Vegas, he swears mpeg 2 as a preferred youtube format and sometimes a high res WMV if file size is an issues. I have compared them side by side on YouTube and found it almost impossible to tell the difference. So I guess there's no real right or wrong answer

Back