What Most of You are Doing Wrong

GamingwithNick

Loving YTtalk
Everytime I come back to YTTalk I see the same exact problem. People upset that they can't get views, people giving advice to post more on FB groups, G+ groups, Reddit etc... Why on Earth are you relying on outside website to drive traffic to YouTube? Is YouTube not good enough at driving its own traffic? It's owned by Google...

This is EXACTLY what many of you need to do. FIX YOUR TITLE, TAGS and DESCRIPTION. Download the chrome extension VidIQ (Free). It allows you to see how everyone tags their videos. I can see your videos and I see the same trends every day.

Example of video that gets no views:

Title: I love Coffee
Tags: "coffee", "love", "happiness", "youtube", "video", "ilovecoffee", "summer", "#coffee", "vlog," etc...

Seriously, this is no joke. Go look at your tags. I bet they look similar to the example above.

Example if you want to get views:

Title: Starbucks New Cascara Latte Coffee Review | What is Cascara?
Tags: "Starbucks cascara latte", "Starbucks cascara", "Starbucks coffee review", "Starbucks cascara review", Starbucks cascara latte review", "what does cascara latte taste like", "what is cascara," etc...

Do you see a difference? This video is more focused, narrow scope and will probably rank well on YouTube. Realize that YouTube is an indexing library. Instead of the dewey decimal system (book libraries), it relies on Titles, tags and descriptions. Learn how to find keywords that you can rank in the top 20 and you will be on the first 2 pages of YouTube for that keyword. Keywords are literally what people are searching for.

Best of luck.

Nick

Everytime I come back to YTTalk I see the same exact problem. People upset that they can't get views, people giving advice to post more on FB groups, G+ groups, Reddit etc... Why on Earth are you relying on outside website to drive traffic to YouTube? Is YouTube not good enough at driving its own traffic? It's owned by Google...

This is EXACTLY what many of you need to do. FIX YOUR TITLE, TAGS and DESCRIPTION. Download the chrome extension VidIQ (Free). It allows you to see how everyone tags their videos. I can see your videos and I see the same trends every day.

Tags: "coffee", "love", "happiness", "youtube", "video", "ilovecoffee", "summer", "#coffee", "vlog," etc...

Seriously, this is no joke. Go look at your tags. I bet they look similar to the example above.

Tags: "Starbucks cascara latte", "Starbucks cascara", "Starbucks coffee review", "Starbucks cascara review", Starbucks cascara latte review", "what does cascara latte taste like", "what is cascara," etc...

Do you see a difference? This video is more focused, narrow scope and will probably rank well on YouTube. Realize that YouTube is an indexing library. Instead of the dewey decimal system (book libraries), it relies on Titles, tags and descriptions. Learn how to find keywords that you can rank in the top 20 and you will be on the first 2 pages of YouTube for that keyword. Keywords are literally what people are searching for.

Best of luck.

Nick

I have a question about this sort of thing.

In a couple of weeks a game is coming out that no one has covered (there's a couple of dev videos), called "Phoning Home". I did the usual search check on things like "Phoning Home Gameplay", Phoning Home Game" etc, but random videos with nothing to do with the game appear, and VidIQ scored the competition at 42. My question is, when I cover this game, am I actually going to appear in the search? Or is YT going to prefer the older videos which don't relate to the game?

(after writing this I feel I may be a little off-topic, apologies if it is).

Reddit has brought in thousands of views onto my main channel. To discount its possible benefit for a video/channel is bad advice.

That being said, your recommendation for SEO is in the right direction. SEO gives a channel long-term prospects for sure. Vid IQ was always sub par for me though. I prefer TubeBuddy's tag explorer, but I suppose that's just personal preference. Was there any reason you chose VidIQ over Buddy? (not trying to argue, just genuinely curious)

Reddit has brought in thousands of views onto my main channel. To discount its possible benefit for a video/channel is bad advice.

I bet your audience retention for those thousands of views are low. There's really no benefit in external traffic because it only weakens your chances for the Algorithm to rank your videos high and suggest them alongside high traffic videos. Most of the people with successful channels on this site will always discourage people from depending on external traffic sources (reddit) for views. They do more harm than good in the long run.

Last edited:

Best of luck.

Nick
Thanks for the tip! I'll def try that for my next video

I bet your audience retention for those thousands of views are low.
There was a time 90% of my traffic was from Reddit and retention between then and now has staed the same (around 60%).
From my observations some early traffic from Reddit actually increases rankings.
Plus 2 reddit posts yesterday brought me 2000 views and 50 subs in 24h.

There was a time 90% of my traffic was from Reddit and retention between then and now has staed the same (around 60%).
From my observations some early traffic from Reddit actually increases rankings.
Plus 2 reddit posts yesterday brought me 2000 views and 50 subs in 24h.

That 60% of retention is coming from your shorter videos (your 1-3 min videos). It's easy to get high retention for shorter videos. Now your audience retention for your longer videos don't have high audience retention (21-33 percent). Most of the people ditching your videos early are from reddit. You've only uploaded 10 videos in six months, the algorithm doesn't favor inconsistency which will harm your ranking. Check your stats for your new 10 min video in another day or two. If most of your traffic comes from reddit, your retention for that particular video will be way less than 60%. Prob between 20%-30%.

If most of your traffic comes from reddit, your retention for that particular video will be way less than 60%. Prob between 20%-30%.
I'm so glad you know my niche better than I do!
My last video:
Overall 1:40, Reddit 1:37
Longest video (that I have stats for):
Overall: Overall 1:54, Reddit: 1:36
One video per 2 weeks and still more subs than most daily let's play channels. Interesting, eh? As if quality mattered.
Pretty much nobody in electronics (except from Louis Rossmann who uploads unedited and EEVBlog who does Youtube full time) publishes more than 1/week.
I will check the stats on the new video as soon as they appear and update.

Sadly you don't have a channel link to criticize :(

That being said, your recommendation for SEO is in the right direction. SEO gives a channel long-term prospects for sure. Vid IQ was always sub par for me though. I prefer TubeBuddy's tag explorer, but I suppose that's just personal preference. Was there any reason you chose VidIQ over Buddy? (not trying to argue, just genuinely curious)
Yeah I've tried Vid IQ and hated it. it was super confusing and it also wouldn't let me sign in to use the in youtube features. So I tried TubeBuddy and like it so much more. I guess different things work for different people

Back