What lighting do you use? Diva Ring Light Super Nova??

Tropical365

I've Got It
The quality of my videos is suffering because of poor lighting. I'm curious what lighting do you use? I keep hearing about this Diva Ring Light Super Nova hihc is very expensive!!... I wonder if that would be OK to use for vlogging at home? It seems as though that would be a real pain to constantly have to move the Diva light around the house because when I vlog from home I don't sit in one spot.

Trying to fix my lighting issues... serious rookie here LOL

Ehehehe, my lighting consist of one LED desk lamp that I picked up for 15 pounds at Lidl, a 'feel good' lamp I bought second hand from a friend for 30 euros (for a different reason actually) and one LED lamp that is actually meant for filming for 25 euros. Sooo, yeah xD

You don't need uber expensive professional lighting to make your videos look good. Sit in front of a window, or make sure you are lit from two places (right and left) in front of you and add either a light in the background or point a lamp at the wall behind you. Knowing how to light yourself is much more important than the equipment you use ;)

Hi! I have a lighting kit I bought off of Amazon for about $500 but I mostly use only one soft box to light my videos. The others were originally for my portrait photography work. I currently love the lighting of my most recent videos.

Ehehehe, my lighting consist of one LED desk lamp that I picked up for 15 pounds at Lidl, a 'feel good' lamp I bought second hand from a friend for 30 euros (for a different reason actually) and one LED lamp that is actually meant for filming for 25 euros. Sooo, yeah xD

You don't need uber expensive professional lighting to make your videos look good. Sit in front of a window, or make sure you are lit from two places (right and left) in front of you and add either a light in the background or point a lamp at the wall behind you. Knowing how to light yourself is much more important than the equipment you use ;)

Unfortunately sitting near a window is not an option as I do "what I eat in a day" videos and cooking videos thus I cannot film that next to a window, and most days are overcast where I live not to mention natural lighting coming from certain angles is very unflattering when you are pushing age 40! =( I have also filmed many times in natural light near windows etc and my video quality is crap because I do not have proper lighting. I've seen the difference and it's HUGE when people use a Ring Light.

Upon further research I see that the Diva Nebula LED Ring Light is better than the Diva Super Nova LED Ring Light because it's 15% brighter and is LED rather than fluorescent bulbs so it stays cool to the touch so if my pet birds land on top of it they won't fry their feet off :) It is 400 bucks... ouch!!

... but if I'm 10 feet away from the Diva Ring Light I wonder if it's pointless because I might be too far away from it... not sure....[DOUBLEPOST=1509223837,1509223743][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hi! I have a lighting kit I bought off of Amazon for about $500 but I mostly use only one soft box to light my videos. The others were originally for my portrait photography work. I currently love the lighting of my most recent videos.

When you say "soft box" so sorry I'm not sure what you are referring to? Thanks!

Unfortunately sitting near a window is not an option as I do "what I eat in a day" videos and cooking videos thus I cannot film that next to a window, and most days are overcast where I live not to mention natural lighting coming from certain angles is very unflattering when you are pushing age 40! =( I have also filmed many times in natural light near windows etc and my video quality is crap because I do not have proper lighting. I've seen the difference and it's HUGE when people use a Ring Light.

Upon further research I see that the Diva Nebula LED Ring Light is better than the Diva Super Nova LED Ring Light because it's 15% brighter and is LED rather than fluorescent bulbs so it stays cool to the touch so if my pet birds land on top of it they won't fry their feet off :) It is 400 bucks... ouch!!

... but if I'm 10 feet away from the Diva Ring Light I wonder if it's pointless because I might be too far away from it... not sure....[DOUBLEPOST=1509223837,1509223743][/DOUBLEPOST]

When you say "soft box" so sorry I'm not sure what you are referring to? Thanks!

These!
412FJAPzkWL._SY450_.jpg

I use the lighting of a crappy phone camera and my surroundings ;)

Honestly though my friend is the one who records most of our footage, so I let him handle it.

I moved this to the hardware discussion forum. ^^

I got lots of comments saying my lighting (a lamp...) looked way too creepy, so now I just use windows and the outdoors. ^^

My biggest drawback with using a Diva Ring Light is that it's not battery operated... I hate hate hate electric cords. They make me feel as though the product is from 1912 or something. Even my upright vacuum cleaner is battery operated... yet this severely overpriced ring light at 400 bucks has an eletric cord. This means every single time I move around in my condo during filming... I have to mess around with an electric cord, not good. I read somewhere it can be battery operated. Not sure... have to research this further before I throw 400 bucks out the window!

I actually think a ring light might not be the right equipment for you. As you mentioned, you move around a lot and do what I eat in a day videos. A ring light is used for a stationary setting, such as sitting in front of a camera. I would look into soft boxes, as they can be repositioned much more easily, can be used to light both yourself and the surroundings and are a LOT cheaper to get.

Back