What Hardware do I Need?

Collie

Hey guys,

New to the forum and starting with a pretty generic - but super important - thread :)

I've wanted to start a YouTube channel for years now. I've had enough of 'wanting' and I want to start 'doing' - but the reality of getting started is pretty daunting... particularly surrounding what equipment is needed.

From my own research, I think a Canon G7 Mark 2 is probably my best bet to start. I am slightly worried about it's audio, though... is this a big issue, or not really?

With a Canon G7, what lighting and what tripod would I need? I know that a ring-light needs to be able to fit around the camera? I'm not sure how any of that works. If anyone uses a G7 Mark 2 with a ring light, what do you use?

Would really appreciate some help with this... am desperate to get going! :D

Hey there. I am a newbie and still learning on a weekly basis. I do want to share a few ideas. Amazon is your best friend for these kind of accessories, there are lots of great products at very reasonable prices. I first started with this basic kit: Limostudio Photography Photo Portrait Studio 600W Day Light, which has been great. Great reviews on Amazon too.

I recently did get the bug to step it up a notch and started looking at the Neewer product line on Amazon. They offer a lot of value. I just placed an order for the 2-Pack Dimmable Bi-color 660 LED Video Light.

Good luck and have fun

I suggest starting with just a camera and adding gear as you go. Video and Youtube can be a really expensive lifestyle. Add things when you feel like you need them instead of just because you think you will need them. That way you only buy what you actually need and also don't spend to much money if you decide you don't want to do youtube anymore.

That being said -

Lights - I recommend getting a pair of Softbox lights for $100 on amazon (sometimes less). I bought my lights many years ago (atleast 4 years) and they are still working great.

Tripod - I personally like to stand in my video and I'm about 6' tall so I need a tripod that can get at least 6' tall (i think it get up to 7' 4"). If you are shorter, you can get away with a smaller and often cheaper tripod.

Audio - If audio is an issue maybe pick up a rode video mic pro. I personally use the Zoom H6 to record all my audio because I can get my microphone as close to my face as possible while keeping it slightly out of frame.

Hope that helps

I rarely write here but your posting catches my eye. My first question is "What are your main interests to video?". Is it scenery - sports - or anything outdoors, then lighting won't be of interest. If you are going to be doing a lot of walking, then the weight of your gear should be kept in mind. If you main interest is indoor work, then, of course, having a good tripod and lighting would be needed. I do a lot of indoor work and whilst having a mic on camera, I do think it's best to have an external one. Here one can pay the earth for 'broadcast' quality gear but even basic low-cost gear will most likely suit your needs for YT.

Whilst Nicekid76 (above) gives good advice, his suggestion about recording audio to a separate device I don't really agree with. This means extra gear to set up (and expense). A separate mic on an extension cable plugged into the camera will be OK. To get the mic close as possible to the talker it may mean putting the mic on a lightweight stand out of shot or even in-shot if it's appropriate to what to what your project is. A tie-clip mic on an extension cable is also fine and these can be quite inexpensive unless you want top-end gear.

Re camera, really there is no need for top-end gear for YT work (unless you are rich of course) basically it's what you create with your camera that matters and not how much you pay for it. I still use what may be thought of as old-hat proper video cameras and don't have the modern DSLR type. These video cams do have some advantages as they are not made for top class still photos (they will do stills of course) but specifically for video and thus the somewhat baffling hundreds of menus on DSLRs are not there on a dedicated video camera. Unless you again go to top end 'pro' gear.

Gosh, I have rambled on so much, so I had better stop. Best of luck.
Pete.

Whilst Nicekid76 (above) gives good advice, his suggestion about recording audio to a separate device I don't really agree with. This means extra gear to set up (and expense).

For the record, I wasn't suggesting they use a Zoom H6. I was mainly letting them know that I use that. I would have felt dishonest if I didn't mention that and just recommended the Rode Video Mic, but I see how my post could have been taken that way.

Hi Nicekid76. Thanks for your explanatory note. Sorry if I took it to mean that was what you suggested to use. That's that cleared up.:) I see that you are a long time member with over 1300 postings. Well done. At my great age, I mostly sit in the shadows.

I wonder if the original poster - Collie - will come back to us commenting on the advice he has been given. Pete.

I doubt they will return
yttalk has a lot of users who post once and never again
i like being welcoming but it does stink when people don"t come back

Hiya Collie.. It would be helpful to know what you plan to film etc. You can probably get along just fine using your smartphone for a while as many people do. I still use my iPhone. If you have a modern smartfone it will do most what you need it to without the need for any expensive equipment.

Back