What do you do?

Senergy Steez

When playing a game and doing a lets play or playthrough, how do you guys go through with it? Do some of you write scripts or do you just go off the top of your head?

When playing a game and doing a lets play or playthrough, how do you guys go through with it? Do some of you write scripts or do you just go off the top of your head?

I don't do those types of videos (I am incredibly boring to watch gaming), but you should definitely do it unscripted. People watch gamers for their genuine reactions to the game they are playing, and how they naturally play them, scripting the videos will take away from that (while also giving you extra work).

I don't do those types of videos (I am incredibly boring to watch gaming), but you should definitely do it unscripted. People watch gamers for their genuine reactions to the game they are playing, and how they naturally play them, scripting the videos will take away from that (while also giving you extra work).
That's exactly what I was thinking. I just wanted to know, because I know some people do like to script their playthroughs and lets play sometimes.

Depending on the game, I would recommend completely improvising or thinking of some topic to talk about during the recording. For story-based games, I would go with improvising, in games with little to no story (for example building games like Minecraft), it can help to have a topic to talk about while doing repetitive stuff like mining or, say, building large repetitive structures.

Depending on the game, I would recommend completely improvising or thinking of some topic to talk about during the recording. For story-based games, I would go with improvising, in games with little to no story (for example building games like Minecraft), it can help to have a topic to talk about while doing repetitive stuff like mining or, say, building large repetitive structures.
That's another good point. I'll do that in my next Stardew playthrough. Thanks!

I don't write anything up as such, I tend to do my commentary as spur of the moment observations and the like, with any information I know about the game I'm playing/level I'm on that springs to mind dotted in. Like if it's a game like Sonic Mania where you have a mix of new levels that have familiar enemies/concepts and old favourites from other games, I could take a little bit of time talking about the game that level came from or the other levels that used the similar enemies or concepts from those games to hopefully help inform and entertain potential viewers.

The downside of this, is as a novice sometimes you might find yourself stumbling over words etc, maybe taking multiple takes where you can to get to what you wanted to say. Thankfully editing can fix that.

Back