What determines how many ads get served on my videos?

Elasmosaurus

I ask because I have two channels which get frustratingly different rates of monetized views.

For instance, here are some relevant stats for the last 7 days (and just FYI, the currency is AUD):

Channel 1:
Views: 2,997
Monetized Views: 527
Revenue: $8.48
Playback Based CPM: $29.16
CPM: $22.33
=
Monetized Views to Views Ratio: 1:5.687
Revenue per 1000 views: $2.829

Channel 2:
Views: 986
Monetized Views: 370
Revenue: $3.80
Playback Based CPM: $18.12
CPM: $16.19
=
Monetized Views to Views Ratio: 1:2.665
Revenue per 1000 views: $3.854

So, as you can see they're quite disparate. Channel 1 is annoyingly getting half the rate of monetized views.

Obviously we're not dealing with huge amounts of money here so it doesn't really matter, but I am still curious. Channel 2 is just my year old hobby channel, but channel 1 is not even a couple of months old and has potential to do relatively well if it keeps going the way it's going, so it would be nice if ads were being served at the same rate for this channel.

Interestingly, for channel 2 I only insert ads at the start and at the end of the videos, but channel 1 has ads at the start, at the end AND in the middle...on every video. Before I started I assumed that the monetized views to views ratio would be higher for this channel since this channel generally has 33% more ads inserted. Boy was I wrong.

And I dont know if it matters but the channel retention rates are roughly equal. The average view length for channel 1 is ~5mins 30secs...and I insert ads at about the 5 minute mark so average view length should encompass that inserted ad.

Anyways I just can't figure it out. Any insight will be much appreciated.

Thanks

All I could say is that, either the country the views are coming from are different or the topics are different.

I'll give you a small example of views to how much I get per video: (hope this is not against the TOS)
upload_2017-3-23_16-53-57.png
upload_2017-3-23_17-3-32.png

It varies per video... Either different video topics and/or different countries most of its views are coming from. For example one has a lot from the US another from Argentina. All of these videos are talking about different things. Different videos getting views from same countries yield different cpm as well. Different times of the year gives a different rate as well sometimes. I also notice the first few months of my channel I had very small rates as well, maybe coz channel authority is not there yet. But that could just be me.

So, overall cpm is always a mystery coz too many factors could change a lot of things.

At least that's my understanding of it. I could be wrong.

I don't think its a country thing becuase they both get the vast majority of views from the USA.

And I dont think know it's a time of the year thing because, well, it's effecting both channels...unless you're saying certain niches have good and bad times of the year? But if anything I'd have thought that'd be channel 2 since it's an outdoor activity based channel that can only be done for 3/4 of the year in much the USA does to frigid winter temps.

Both channels are in different niches though so I suppose that could explain it. But channel 1 is geared towards movies and TV, whereas channel 2 is gold prospecting...one would have thought that channel 1 would have just as many if not more ads to serve...especially since I've inserted 33% more ads on that channel. I just dont know why the views are there but the ads aren't being served...

Back