Vines = Fair use?

Hekke

Hi, so I recently started a Vine channel as I saw alot of these got a high amount of following and views, so there is obviously some money to be made there. I have asked a couple of my friends and they say as long as I credit the creator I am fine with monetizing Vines (Fair use).

But I am sure there are some YouTube guru's here that can confirm this, or decline this, because there is obviously some money to be made when alot of the videos are getting huge amount of views, shares, comments, etc. :)

Thanks in advance,
Hekke

No this is not the case, unless you have a written and signed re-distribution license (must be commercial) from the original creator, then you have no legal rights to upload them.

Some do, but it is most illegally done and companies like viral spiral and jukinvideo own alot of vine rights so they will claim all revenue from the videos.
Wouldn't recommend it tbh.

No this is not the case, unless you have a written and signed re-distribution license (must be commercial) from the original creator, then you have no legal rights to upload them.

Some do, but it is most illegally done and companies like viral spiral and jukinvideo own alot of vine rights so they will claim all revenue from the videos.
Wouldn't recommend it tbh.
Thanks alot for the information! :)

-Hekke

Fair use implies you parody or add to or criticize the work. No matter what the medium is unless it is explicitly states otherwise you can not make money off of someone else's content without altering it significantly for parody/criticism/educational purposes.

Fair use implies you parody or add to or criticize the work. No matter what the medium is unless it is explicitly states otherwise you can not make money off of someone else's content without altering it significantly for parody/criticism/educational purposes.
Thanks alot! But how likely is it that the person will claim the content though?

-Hekke

Thanks alot! But how likely is it that the person will claim the content though?

-Hekke
There's no way to say. I'm surprised you're ok with it though I mean... you'd be effectively stealing someone else's intellectual property... But I'm not gonna lecture you on that, the likelihood that someone would claim it varies greatly from channel to channel. Some channels get away with it forever even past millions of views, some channels upload the video, get 5 views and then 2 days later they have a strike so there's no way to say really.

No its not fair use you need their consent to do it. Or else all movies wouldnt need to pay any singer to use their song.

No its not fair use you need their consent to do it. Or else all movies wouldnt need to pay any singer to use their song.
It's kind of like saying "can I take a library book, make copies of it and sell it, and it be ok cause of fair use?" No.... LOL

I totally agree, but I thought it was something special with Vine as I see millions of them with monetized videos. I understand copyright to 100% but just thought it was a special license with Vine.

-Hekke

I totally agree, but I thought it was something special with Vine as I see millions of them with monetized videos. I understand copyright to 100% but just thought it was a special license with Vine.

-Hekke
That makes sense. No people just do things they shouldn't to make money, tis how the world is.

Back