Using Old Game Trailers?

You're not really allowed to use any game trailers since they're copyrighted content. Whether the game was released or not is irrelevant.

If you don't plan on monetizing though, you might be able to use them.. there could be third party matches and stuff though. Still will need to put commentary over it.

EVERYTHING is copyrighted material. The very act of existing makes it copyrighted. Yes, if something is REALLY old it becomes public domain, but general rule of thumb: EVERYTHING is copyrighted. And whenever you have to ask someone who isn't related to that particular piece of material: It's copyrighted.

It really goes by whether or not the copyright holder truly cares, I myself uploaded the star trek game trailer (wish i hadnt) but yeah I suffered no consequences so its up to you really.

EVERYTHING is copyrighted material. The very act of existing makes it copyrighted. Yes, if something is REALLY old it becomes public domain, but general rule of thumb: EVERYTHING is copyrighted. And whenever you have to ask someone who isn't related to that particular piece of material: It's copyrighted.

Never asked if it was copyright or not...I asked if it was okay by copyright standards...

Yeah, but there is no difference between older and newer copyrighted material. There are no different standards. There are ways to use copyrighted material anyway, like fair use, but then it still doesn't matter how old or new it is. The copyright standards are: everything is copyrighted and can't be used.

The question is: Is the copyright holder going to care? And that depends solely on the holder not on age. A couple of months ago Sega (I think) took down every video of a certain older game and a bunch of ppl got copyright strikes just because they had a new game with a similar title coming out and they wanted to optimize search engine results for that new game by eliminating the search word "competition". Shortly after the new game was out they stopped caring and ppl were able to upload their videos again...

Yeah, but there is no difference between older and newer copyrighted material. There are no different standards. There are ways to use copyrighted material anyway, like fair use, but then it still doesn't matter how old or new it is. The copyright standards are: everything is copyrighted and can't be used.

The question is: Is the copyright holder going to care? And that depends solely on the holder not on age. A couple of months ago Sega (I think) took down every video of a certain older game and a bunch of ppl got copyright strikes just because they had a new game with a similar title coming out and they wanted to optimize search engine results for that new game by eliminating the search word "competition". Shortly after the new game was out they stopped caring and ppl were able to upload their videos again...

I understood that after the first reply. The reason I asked is that I know if you upload any gameplay from a unreleased game the content will get taken down at the very least but if the game is out this won't happen. So I was seeing if this was held in the same regard with trailers.

I have the GTA 5 trailers on my channel and Take Two allows people to do this but make sure not to monetize.

Back