Tips to grow your Gaming Channel! (I gained 75K Subs and 25 Million Total Views in 18 months)

the100yengamer

YTtalk Mad
Hello, I would like to share what I did to achieve what the title states.

I started my channel back in Sept, 2012 not really knowing what I wanted to do. Only thing I knew was to play video games and post it on my channel.

1) I posted a video or two every day at 7PM (I never missed it)
I have several people commenting that they watch my show everyday, it seems that it is habit to them now. It is easy to remember that new show is up everyday at certain time.

2) I read all comments and replied to every comments.
I never got response for any of my comments when I posted on some popular channel and felt sad, so at least I try to reply back to all comments. I know viewers love that. Also in the next game play I recorded, I would mention some of the comments so viewers will feel they are part of the entertainment.

3) I did small campaign to involve viewers
Did give away, invited several viewers to play online with me and recorded the footage and put it up on my channel

4) Used twitter to communicate with my viewers
I tweeted news about my channel, like what game I will be playing, also requested if viewer had any games they wants me to play. This helps me to interact with viewers.

5) Do not try your best at everything
I do not edit my video at all, I just play the game for 2 hours and I will cut the video to 15 mins clips and upload it to youtube. Then use scheduling tool and publish each video every day.
( If I play game for 2 hours, I will have 8 clips = 8 days)
I just kept it simple so I could do it without getting overwhelmed. If I edited each clips and stuff, I probably would not be able to publish video everyday, so I put all my effort on getting video out everyday instead of editing it.

6) Invest in good equipment
I have learned that Quality of your video and sound is very important. I spent almost $300 for capture card and mic so I could get HD footage and good sound for my commentary.
On my channel I get a lot of complement about quality and I believe it is one of the big factor people have subscribed to me. ( I use Elgato Game capture HD and Snow Yeti mic)

7) Mix other related videos
My main focus is on Video games, but sometimes people want to get something different, I decided to do candy reviews since I like to eat candy while playing video games. I mean who doesn't like candies!! So occasionally I do candy reviews and my viewers enjoy watching it.

8) Make your video unique
This has been said by so many different youtubers. If you are doing same things that others are doing, it will be very difficult to get noticed. Since I speak both Japanese and English I play games that has not been released in JPN and add Japanese commentary to it. Now you might say I don't speak two languages, well you don't have to. There are many other ways to be different. I have seen one person who sounds like Solid Snake and in his videos he does cool impressions of Snake and people love it! Or Play games that no one has played on youtube, I see many Minecraft or COD videos, it will be really hard to get noticed by playing those games.

I think thats it, and doing above I ended up getting 1k subs and 10k average views per day. Comparing to other big guys on YT, its nothing, but hey I have no complains.

I hope this information can be helpful, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me or comment

* I decided to keep adding tips as I grow my channel

Added Feb 6th (As of now I have 1855 subs and average of 15k views every day)

9) Collaborate with other youtuber who share same interest
I decided to collaborate with other gaming channel. He has close to 1000 subs, so we were really similar in terms of channel size. We used Skype and played online games together since we shared so many same interest we could not stop talking, we were just talking about anything like game consoles, movies and such. After he published this clip I was amazed that I gained almost 100 subs over night. Many of his subs enjoyed it and came to my channel and subbed to me. Other user also gained a lot of subs after I published my version of the clip.

10) Explore different functions of YouTube
Try to explore what tools are available on YouTube. Understand what Tags are for,
Customize what notice will be sent to twitter, Facebook, use "In-video programming" (Feature options), customize channel layout, what video will be shown in main channel page (you have option to force play the video when someone visit your channel), Playlist, annotations, Links in channel, etc. Make best of these functions. Once you are partner you will get more functions.

Added Feb 24th(As of now I have 2868 subs and average of 16k views every day)

11) Get Inspiration from other Youtubers
When I decided to create gaming channel, I watched many gaming videos on Youtube, I wanted to know what people are doing in their videos. If the video has many views, or has many subscribers, it probably means people really enjoy watching it. You should list all the things you noticed about these videos, positives and negatives. Review the list and brainstorm( You may want to copy some of the things, and also add your own twist to it)
As your channel grows, you will establish your own style, but until then, you should look around and learn from other successful Youtubers!

Its been a while since I updated this thread, Since I just hit 10k subs few weeks I go I decided to add few more information

12) Have Professional Mentality
Ever since I started to post videos to Youtube(9 months ago) I set a goal in my mind that I wanted to be No 1 at what I doing. I decided that I will treat Youtube as my career.
I tried my best to upload videos everyday and never missed it. When I get negative and anti comments from viewers, I never snapped back, All these things helped me get to where I am now. I know there are so many other channels that are HUGE! I do watch those channels and am big fan too! I am nothing compared to other Big fish, however I believe Mentality is very important. Try to picture yourself being big Youtuber and set goals you want to achieve, also detailed planning is important!

Added July 26th

13) Use opportunity to Live Stream
Once I upgraded my PC , I started to live stream on my Youtube channel, I live stream once a week at specific time. My fans can interact with me at the live stream, like ask me questions, give me advise on games I am playing while live streaming. Currently I am playing Demons Soul and many viewers contact me through Skype and their voice is also streamed as well to the viewers and they love it! Its like fans being part of my shows. I also invite other Youtubers and have them join the stream. To show my appreciation, I ask them to introduce their channel and they usually gain from 20 to 30 subs! I also gain some subs from their fan base as well, so it is win win! It is one of the best method to interact with your viewers! If your channel is capable of streaming, I highly recommend it!

*My current situation (As of Mar 18th 2014)
So, it has been a while since I updated this thread, now I have close to 75000 subs and I get around 80k views per day. I am making pretty good money and if I want, I can quit my job and live off of Youtube earning. Anyways life is good and I hope everyone good luck!

Last edited:
Hello, I would like to share what I did to achieve what the title states.

I started my channel back in Sept, 2012 not really knowing what I wanted to do. Only thing I knew was to play video games and post it on my channel.

1) I posted a video or two every day at 7PM (I never missed it)
I have several people commenting that they watch my show everyday, it seems that it is habit to them now. It is easy to remember that new show is up everyday at certain time.

2) I read all comments and replied to every comments.
In the next game play I recorded, I would mention some of the comments so viewers will fee they are part of the entertainment.

3) I did small campaign to involve viewers
Did give away, invited several viewers to play online with me and recorded the footage and put it up on my channel

4) Used twitter to communicate with my viewers
I tweeted news about my channel, like what game I will be playing, also requested if viewer had any games they wants me to play. This helps me to interact with viewers.

5) Do not try your best at everything
I do not edit my video at all, I just play the game for 2 hours and I will cut the video to 15 mins clips and upload it to youtube. Then use scheduling tool and publish each video every day.
( If I play game for 2 hours, I will have 8 clips = 8 days)
I just kept it simple so I could do it without getting overwhelmed. If I edited each clips and stuff, I probably would not be able to publish video everyday, so I put all my effort on getting video out everyday instead of editing it.

6) Invest in good equipment
I have learned that Quality of your video and sound is very important. I spent almost $300 for capture card and mic so I could get HD footage and good sound for my commentary.
On my channel I get a lot of complement about quality and I believe it is one of the big factor people have subscribed to me. ( I use Elgato Game capture HD and Snow Yeti mic)

7) Mix other related videos
My main focus is on Video games, but sometimes people want to get something different, I decided to do candy reviews since I like to eat candy while playing video games. I mean who doesn't like candies!! So occasionally I do candy reviews and my viewers enjoy watching it.

8) Make your video unique
This has been said by so many different youtubers. If you are doing same things that others are doing, it will be very difficult to get noticed. Since I speak both Japanese and English I play games that has not been released in JPN and add Japanese commentary to it. Now you might say I don't speak two languages, well you don't have to. There are many other ways to be different. I have seen one person who sounds like Solid Snake and in his videos he does cool impressions of Snake and people love it! Or Play games that no one has played on youtube, I see many Minecraft or COD videos, it will be really hard to get noticed by playing those games.

I think thats it, and doing above I ended up getting 1k subs and 10k average views per day. Comparing to other big guys on YT, its nothing, but hey I have no complains.

I hope this information can be helpful, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me or comment
good tips! :] these apply to all YT genres :]

Back