Tips needed - Several Genres in one Channel or not?

SpitItOutProductions

Hey Guys,

I need some honest opinions.
We're a movie production company making shortfilms, mostly comedies.
But we're thinking of expanding into drama, action, unboxing and such.

And we know that the unwritten law of youtube is concistency, concistency, concistency!
But what do you guys think?

If we were to make different playlist containing different genres/content and so on?
We're thinking of a series section, interviews section, unboxing section etc.
Also a gaming section.

Would you guys subscribe to that kind of channel or would you think it to be too "wide"?

I'd really appreciate the honest feedback.
Thanks!

Hey Guys,

I need some honest opinions.
We're a movie production company making shortfilms, mostly comedies.
But we're thinking of expanding into drama, action, unboxing and such.

And we know that the unwritten law of youtube is concistency, concistency, concistency!
But what do you guys think?

If we were to make different playlist containing different genres/content and so on?
We're thinking of a series section, interviews section, unboxing section etc.
Also a gaming section.

Would you guys subscribe to that kind of channel or would you think it to be too "wide"?

I'd really appreciate the honest feedback.
Thanks!

Keeping the themes of short films is great, and branching out to at least two different (sub-genres) is also great! I think they say it's another rule of 3, where the content is related somehow but once you find out what people enjoy most you make MORE of that specific content. Comedy, drama, action, etc. Just keep that all under film/sketches cause that's the same thing. If you do unboxing do it on film gear, or something video production related. Lastly, and your third one could be first impressions of the items you've unboxed, giving honest 1-2 week reviews after using it for that time what your initial thoughts are, etc.

i don't think that will work because of 2 reasons.

1. people that subscribe from a particular niche get alerted to your new video in their feed. They see your new upload of something completely different to the video they subscribed from and think "whats this trash i signed up for' .. and then they unsubscribe.
2. you publish uploads that are not of interest to your subscribers (as above) and they watch for a micro sencond before hitting 'X' and this kills your watch time retention meaning your video will not be suggested as much across the the platform.
is my thoughts anyway. I may be wrong but I've experienced some of above.

Since you mostly do comedy and want to expand to other genres here's what I'm thinking of:
Number one: Your first video that isn't going to be comedy has to be your best work, for example you made an action short movie and people wanted comedy, they may not be interested in the genre but some of them may be interested of your work! therefore you wouldn't risk losing much watch time or subscribers
Number two: It's never wrong to put in some comedy along with other genres, even famous writers who worked for famous shows do that! That way you still do the comedy and the other genres. :)
These are just my thoughts but for the gaming and unboxing thing I don't think that might work out with the channel as it would be a little off you know?
Focusing on short films and maybe a series would be the best for your channel since that's what people subscribed to you in the first place.
I hope I helped :)

I think it’d be fine. Especially since you’re still doing short films. The problem usually lies when people do gaming, vlogs, short films, animations, and like music videos all in one channel.

Thank you guys for the feedback, we've decided, after this, that we'll only make movies on our youtube channel.
Maybe som interviews and behind the scenes of those movies.

Since you mostly do comedy and want to expand to other genres here's what I'm thinking of:
Number one: Your first video that isn't going to be comedy has to be your best work, for example you made an action short movie and people wanted comedy, they may not be interested in the genre but some of them may be interested of your work! therefore you wouldn't risk losing much watch time or subscribers.. :)

Thanks Victor, I guess you are right. It's okay to spice up the "dramatic" movies with humor and the other way around.

I think it’d be fine. Especially since you’re still doing short films. The problem usually lies when people do gaming, vlogs, short films, animations, and like music videos all in one channel.
Yeah.. I guess we realised that the amount of work put into just one episode of the series we're doing is kind of big.
And we're having problems releasing the movies every weekend. :(
But you're right.. we'll keep focused on 1 topic.

i don't think that will work because of 2 reasons.

1. people that subscribe from a particular niche get alerted to your new video in their feed. They see your new upload of something completely different to the video they subscribed from and think "whats this trash i signed up for' .. and then they unsubscribe.
2. you publish uploads that are not of interest to your subscribers (as above) and they watch for a micro sencond before hitting 'X' and this kills your watch time retention meaning your video will not be suggested as much across the the platform.
is my thoughts anyway. I may be wrong but I've experienced some of above.

No, you're right. Spent last night watching a couple of strategy videos of youtube yesterday.
They all say the same thing. The more nished you are, the more loyal and exposure you'll get.

Back