Thumbnails

veronica33067

I've Got It
Hello all :smile22:

Someone suggested that I create thumbnails for my video. I'm working on doing just that for my next monologue. I started editing today. I took a screen shot of a particular reaction in my monologue. I pasted the image in paint. Then I saved it as a png and opened it in Photoshop to add text. I had to go back into paint to adjust the sizing of the image. Apparently, I cut off too much. I was able to get the size of the image to match that of the video clips. However, I'm wondering how I will be able to make this particular image my thumbnail? I've notice YouTube picks random parts of a video to choose as thumbnails. Therefore, what if my image isn't the one YouTube gives me as a choice for my thumbnail? Do I make the image the first part of my video, (will that make it an automatic thumbnail) or is there an option to upload a particular thumbnail on YouTube? :help:

You make the thumbnail of whatever you want, then when uploading your video there is also an option to upload a custom thumbnail. Click the button, select your image, upload, enjoy!

If your channel is brand-new, you may not yet have the option to do this. If that’s the case, you will have to wait before you can use a custom thumbnail image.

when uploading your video there is also an option to upload a custom thumbnail.
This exactly :) Even before your video is done uploading (and YT will give you those three choices), there will be a button with 'upload file' for a custom thumbnail ;) Also, I'm a bit confused that you had to resize it. If you take a screenshot of you video, it should be the right size. Also, if you press ctrl+i in photoshop, you can resize the image there ;)

You make the thumbnail of whatever you want, then when uploading your video there is also an option to upload a custom thumbnail. Click the button, select your image, upload, enjoy!

If your channel is brand-new, you may not yet have the option to do this. If that’s the case, you will have to wait before you can use a custom thumbnail image.

I hope I have that option. I don't remember seeing that option for the previous videos I've uploaded. :unsure:I've had a YouTube channel for a while. However, I only started really utilizing it just a few months ago. :unsure2: We'll see! Thanks! :smile22:[DOUBLEPOST=1514935937,1514935602][/DOUBLEPOST]
This exactly :) Even before your video is done uploading (and YT will give you those three choices), there will be a button with 'upload file' for a custom thumbnail ;) Also, I'm a bit confused that you had to resize it. If you take a screenshot of you video, it should be the right size. Also, if you press ctrl+i in photoshop, you can resize the image there ;)

After I did a screen shot, I paste it in paint. I think I cut off too much in paint which is why the image ended up being too small. I had taken the screen shot inside the editing program I was using. Therefore, I had all that unnecessary background within the screen shot that I had to delete. :confused:

Therefore, I had all that unnecessary background within the screen shot that I had to delete.
Ah, that explains a lot. If I remember correctly, you are using Windows Movie Maker to edit, right? If you open the program, in the left hand corner, you should see a button called 'snapshot' (on the right hand side of 'add videos' and 'add music'). This will make still frame of your video, of the spot you are paused on. It will automatically open your folder and you can save the image. This will make things a lot easier, because it will automatically be the correct size ;)

OMG! Thank you so much! Yes, I used Windows Movie Maker. I forgot about that button! Now, I know for next time! Thanks again! :woohoo!:

Ah, that explains a lot. If I remember correctly, you are using Windows Movie Maker to edit, right? If you open the program, in the left hand corner, you should see a button called 'snapshot' (on the right hand side of 'add videos' and 'add music'). This will make still frame of your video, of the spot you are paused on. It will automatically open your folder and you can save the image. This will make things a lot easier, because it will automatically be the correct size ;)

Back