Thumbnail and Copyright Help!

Hi there,

I started a youtube channel recently. I have two questions:

I was wondering if I could monetise videos where I discuss and review tv shows and music videos (I would not use any video clips or images from the show or music video).

Secondly, could I include Google images (not belonging to me) only in the thumbnail and monetise that video. Or must content belong to me in the thumbnail as well?

I would appreciate anyone answering my questions!
Thanks.

Hi there,

I started a youtube channel recently. I have two questions:

I was wondering if I could monetise videos where I discuss and review tv shows and music videos (I would not use any video clips or images from the show or music video).

Secondly, could I include Google images (not belonging to me) only in the thumbnail and monetise that video. Or must content belong to me in the thumbnail as well?

I would appreciate anyone answering my questions!
Thanks.

Technically no. Remember, copyright is the ownership of creative materials and images are included just like anything else.

However, if you are doing true reviews, then it is worth suggesting that you familiarize yourself with Fair Use Doctrine. Review content is an item that is protected under fair use, allowing for the use of some (I would caution against using all) of the copyrighted content in order to make a review of it. If you were to use images from the official source studio about a particular movie in your thumbnail for a review of said movie, then it stands to reason that you have a pretty solid justification to use them. Just grabbing random google images pictures that aren't related to what you're doing is technically against the rules unless they are creative commons or other free use licensed material.

You could do a google search for "Creative commons images" and should find plenty of places to get pictures from. Just be aware of what kind of CC license applies, as some of them require you to credit the image source.

Technically no. Remember, copyright is the ownership of creative materials and images are included just like anything else.

However, if you are doing true reviews, then it is worth suggesting that you familiarize yourself with Fair Use Doctrine. Review content is an item that is protected under fair use, allowing for the use of some (I would caution against using all) of the copyrighted content in order to make a review of it. If you were to use images from the official source studio about a particular movie in your thumbnail for a review of said movie, then it stands to reason that you have a pretty solid justification to use them. Just grabbing random google images pictures that aren't related to what you're doing is technically against the rules unless they are creative commons or other free use licensed material.

You could do a google search for "Creative commons images" and should find plenty of places to get pictures from. Just be aware of what kind of CC license applies, as some of them require you to credit the image source.

Thank you for your response. I would just like clarification on:

By reviews I mean - briefly recapping/summarising the main bits what happened in the show and then embedding my thoughts on those scenes. It would be me discussing with fans of the show. Would this be okay and not infringe copyright?

If I did use Google images/or a screen grab from the TV Show my video is about (in the thumbnail), it would always be about the TV show. This is allowed right?

In Quora someone answered this question and you should read it because they know about laws:

search in google for : Is-it-allowed-to-create-thumbnails-for-my-website-of-others-peoples-YouTube-videos

why cant i post links here?

Back