Thought it'd be easier if I created good content(music)..but it isn't enough.

You've really got a good point. I was drawn to YouTube for the instant gratification of their superb fast player playback and also the ability to put in playlists. Of course I quickly realised too that it's another form of revenue as all of us see as well. Why get people to donate when I can get ad money from YouTube directly? It's a win win for everyone I suppose. But yes the website would probably be effective for specific music searches. I guess YouTube is just a gateway or introduction to the site. Just wondering if you were searching for music, what keywords would you use?
I usually search "Creative Commons Music", "Royalty Free Music", "Royalty Free Creative Commons Music" or "Free Music" lol I'd recommend selling ad space on your website, you're more likely to get hits there first before the YouTube channel, I don't think Incompetech does but Kevin relies on donations, he also has some of his YouTube videos embeded in his pages for certain songs when searching. The other thing is it won't ruin your retention, I do the same thing, I'll play a song and click the little fast forward button to see if there's anything I can work with, if not I move to the next. I remember I found Incompetech because of seeing some of his songs in other people's videos, I then Googled "Incompetech" and found the site. You could also try contacting YouTube somehow to see if you can get your songs added to their Audio Library with the CC license which is what Incompetech & Audionautix have done, it's basically the same as on their website but just featured in the audio library, people still have to give credit for songs that state so.

The first thing I thought was, I experienced the thumbnails as hard to see. I wasn't clear for me what I would get when clicking your video. I mean, I don't know what's wrong and what's right, but I thought to share my opinion to you to have some food for thought :)

Don't take comments from trolls to heart... it's easy to get discouraged in the beginning but you will find your audience soon enough and the good comments and interaction you've been looking for will happen. They say a watched kettle never boils... so true. Just focus on ways to tweak SEO and thumbnails perhaps as some here have suggested (although I quite liked your thumbnails) and do the promotion thing and your channel will grow. As others have mentioned, YTTalk is the perfect place to grow your channel as most of us are creators in need of original music. :)

Been busy but I finally had time to reply. Thanks for your advice. I have dedicated these few days to tweaking SEO and thumbnails (thinking of making the fonts bigger). Yes YTT has most definitely helped me grow and learn. Thanks.[DOUBLEPOST=1455464724,1455464286][/DOUBLEPOST]
I usually search "Creative Commons Music", "Royalty Free Music", "Royalty Free Creative Commons Music" or "Free Music" lol I'd recommend selling ad space on your website, you're more likely to get hits there first before the YouTube channel, I don't think Incompetech does but Kevin relies on donations, he also has some of his YouTube videos embeded in his pages for certain songs when searching. The other thing is it won't ruin your retention, I do the same thing, I'll play a song and click the little fast forward button to see if there's anything I can work with, if not I move to the next. I remember I found Incompetech because of seeing some of his songs in other people's videos, I then Googled "Incompetech" and found the site. You could also try contacting YouTube somehow to see if you can get your songs added to their Audio Library with the CC license which is what Incompetech & Audionautix have done, it's basically the same as on their website but just featured in the audio library, people still have to give credit for songs that state so.

Thanks for the feedback. I am most definitely trying to target these keywords. Will do some research on this. Thanks for your advice.[DOUBLEPOST=1455464966][/DOUBLEPOST]
The first thing I thought was, I experienced the thumbnails as hard to see. I wasn't clear for me what I would get when clicking your video. I mean, I don't know what's wrong and what's right, but I thought to share my opinion to you to have some food for thought :)

Just tried to experiment with the thumbnails and not sure if this is better?
Basically one is a smaller font and the other larger?
Not sure if it is the font or what it states that is hard to make sense off.
Thanks!

Attachments

• shareasimage (30).jpg
    shareasimage (30).jpg
    607.3 KB · Views: 2
  • shareasimage.jpg
    shareasimage.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 2
Been busy but I finally had time to reply. Thanks for your advice. I have dedicated these few days to tweaking SEO and thumbnails (thinking of making the fonts bigger). Yes YTT has most definitely helped me grow and learn. Thanks.[DOUBLEPOST=1455464724,1455464286][/DOUBLEPOST]

Thanks for the feedback. I am most definitely trying to target these keywords. Will do some research on this. Thanks for your advice.[DOUBLEPOST=1455464966][/DOUBLEPOST]

Just tried to experiment with the thumbnails and not sure if this is better?
Basically one is a smaller font and the other larger?
Not sure if it is the font or what it states that is hard to make sense off.
Thanks!
You make clear that your video is about music, but if I were you I would not put "Music for Creators". I mean: for creators, so I could only listen if I'm a creator? But I'm not a creator, I may not listen? And most people who sees your thumbnail is like: What in the world is a "creator"?.

Second, have you viewed your thumbnails from your channel? They are supersmall, I can't read your title. This is what I see

upload_2016-2-14_21-38-47.png
I'll tell you how my experiences are: The song title is invisible for me. I can't make anything out of the blocks. The horizontal line with the black circle doesn't make sense for me. The fonts are good, sometimes the background is hard to see in contrast to the text. Sorry for the bashing, that's not my intention at all, I'm just sharing what I think. Most of the people go through this part of your channel, and this is also how it looks like in the search part of Youtube and in subscribers feed. About your video titles; if I were you I would start with the song title, then your music genre and then that's royalty free music. I feel the emphasis on Free Royalty Free Music is too much. The title also doesn't fit on the screen...

Hope it helps you, since you're making/using awesome music!

You make clear that your video is about music, but if I were you I would not put "Music for Creators". I mean: for creators, so I could only listen if I'm a creator? But I'm not a creator, I may not listen? And most people who sees your thumbnail is like: What in the world is a "creator"?.

Second, have you viewed your thumbnails from your channel? They are supersmall, I can't read your title. This is what I see

View attachment 34086
I'll tell you how my experiences are: The song title is invisible for me. I can't make anything out of the blocks. The horizontal line with the black circle doesn't make sense for me. The fonts are good, sometimes the background is hard to see in contrast to the text. Sorry for the bashing, that's not my intention at all, I'm just sharing what I think. Most of the people go through this part of your channel, and this is also how it looks like in the search part of Youtube and in subscribers feed. About your video titles; if I were you I would start with the song title, then your music genre and then that's royalty free music. I feel the emphasis on Free Royalty Free Music is too much. The title also doesn't fit on the screen...

Hope it helps you, since you're making/using awesome music!

Thanks! I really appreciate the critical eye. I need to re-evaluate my branding I suppose.
Don't worry I take it all in as constructive criticism. Thanks so much.

Thanks! I really appreciate the critical eye. I need to re-evaluate my branding I suppose.
Don't worry I take it all in as constructive criticism. Thanks so much.
Yeah, when I red it again I would understand if people would say I was harsh. But I think for me it's better to be honest then talk nice and weakening my point :) . And off course it's only one opinion. Maybe other people thinks otherwise

Your music is great! You're really good at MIDI composing - I've been trying to teach myself how to do that, and it's really hard to do!

I do agree with the thumbnails ... I just sort of click on them and have no idea what is going to pop up. What does pop up is great, but one was kind of dubstep, and the next was like a peaceful sonata. Maybe instead of a bunch of "free music" thumbnails, perhaps try using a really pretty/related picture and the title for the thumbnail. Then in the actual video title, you could put the "FREE MUSIC: Title." If I were searching for some sort of calming piece of music to stick in my video and saw a beautiful beach with palm trees with the words "FREE MUSIC" under it, I'd instantly click! ^_^

I would also suggest creating tutorials about how you make your music, the software you use, and what sample libraries/loops etc. you recommend. People love How-To videos, and since sample libraries can be very very expensive, many will appreciate seeing them in action before purchasing them (I know I do!!). You will probably gain a more engaged following who want to learn how to make these kinds of tracks, and a higher watch time on those videos!

Also......Can I play along with some of your tracks using my violin? ??!! They are really good, but I don't know if that would be allowed.. =/ I'd paste links all over the place to go to your channel! : D

Music channels take a lot of time to get the ball rolling, especially if you don't create a bunch of popular covers... Don't give up! : D Just keep swimming..Just keep swimming... swimming..swimming! ^^

Your music is great! You're really good at MIDI composing - I've been trying to teach myself how to do that, and it's really hard to do!

I do agree with the thumbnails ... I just sort of click on them and have no idea what is going to pop up. What does pop up is great, but one was kind of dubstep, and the next was like a peaceful sonata. Maybe instead of a bunch of "free music" thumbnails, perhaps try using a really pretty/related picture and the title for the thumbnail. Then in the actual video title, you could put the "FREE MUSIC: Title." If I were searching for some sort of calming piece of music to stick in my video and saw a beautiful beach with palm trees with the words "FREE MUSIC" under it, I'd instantly click! ^_^

I would also suggest creating tutorials about how you make your music, the software you use, and what sample libraries/loops etc. you recommend. People love How-To videos, and since sample libraries can be very very expensive, many will appreciate seeing them in action before purchasing them (I know I do!!). You will probably gain a more engaged following who want to learn how to make these kinds of tracks, and a higher watch time on those videos!

Also......Can I play along with some of your tracks using my violin? ??!! They are really good, but I don't know if that would be allowed.. =/ I'd paste links all over the place to go to your channel! : D

Music channels take a lot of time to get the ball rolling, especially if you don't create a bunch of popular covers... Don't give up! : D Just keep swimming..Just keep swimming... swimming..swimming! ^^

I've been playing around with the thumbnails but haven't done something concrete. Here's the current and the possible new one.
Just afraid 'free music' looks cheap. Also doesn't indicate that music will play once you click on it.
Not quite the standard look if I were to compare to other similar channels.

Yes! I welcome anyone playing music or singing over my tracks. Just a reminder that you can't claim copyright over them (for those that intend to sign up with a label etc). I would really look forward to hearing it. Thanks so much for dropping by Katy. You are pretty awesome on violins yourself. Love the fiddle song.[DOUBLEPOST=1455700215,1455699865][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah, when I red it again I would understand if people would say I was harsh. But I think for me it's better to be honest then talk nice and weakening my point :) . And off course it's only one opinion. Maybe other people thinks otherwise

I totally welcome constructive criticism. It's all cool. Thanks!

Attachments

• shareasimage (11).jpg
    shareasimage (11).jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 1
  • snappa-1455681522.jpg
    snappa-1455681522.jpg
    875.2 KB · Views: 1
I've been playing around with the thumbnails but haven't done something concrete. Here's the current and the possible new one.
Just afraid 'free music' looks cheap. Also doesn't indicate that music will play once you click on it.
I'm still trying to figure out thumbnails, too.... One of the things I've been doing is shrinking my thumbnail down and seeing how it would look tiny.

I like the current thumbnail idea, but I think some of the words are kind of hard to read when the thumbnail is in its tiny format. Also, a lot of the smaller fonts disappear, so it might be better to leave them off, or to make them really big if they are important. The word "Creators" also disappears a little into the clouds, so it might be good to add a slightly transparent darker overlay if the text is white, or lighter overlay if the text is black. I would also try to use a bolder font, if possible.

I wouldn't go with the second "Free Music" thumbnail.. I agree that it doesn't convey the same idea. The text distracts from the image, and I cannot tell what the picture is.

I'm still learning too, but I thought I'd try to make a thumbnail - Maybe it will spark some more ideas! : D I couldn't find the same image you used, but I used a pretty mountain road picture instead: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherwin_Range#/media/File:Sherwin_Range,_Benton_Crossing.jpg

I made our thumbnails tiny and overlaid them over the first two TheEllenShow videos:
qqPESn4.png

The font is a little easier to read, but I don't like how hard it is to read the "G" in my thumbnail. I'm also not sure if I like how the "Royalty Free Music" is displayed with the black background. I've always liked song titles, so I tend to put them as the center of attention, but maybe it would be better to put the "Free Music for Creators" in that area instead? I would still put the title in big font somewhere -- I always tend to click on songs based on their titles and album art, but maybe that's just me! ^_^

Yes! I welcome anyone playing music or singing over my tracks. Just a reminder that you can't claim copyright over them (for those that intend to sign up with a label etc). I would really look forward to hearing it. Thanks so much for dropping by Katy. You are pretty awesome on violins yourself. Love the fiddle song
Yay!!! Thank you! : D I'm going to go practice! ^_^ And thank you for your nice compliment! =)

Last edited:
Just wondering if you were searching for music, what keywords would you use?
Wolfraith is spot on. Whenever I search for royalty free music I go to google and type in "royalty free music" expecting to see the same kinds of sites I've seen for years and allow you to easily download their music. I wouldn't even consider Youtube because it's just another step between me and the place I need to get to (a place to download music).

Back