The secret to getting video views.

RobbScottVideos

I've Got It
Actually, I don't have all the answers yet but stick with me. Because I do have a lot of proven advice to share you'll find helpful in getting views for your videos. Let me explain the Coles Notes version on my background. Then I'll explain how I used it to successfully get a lot of views on one video.

I'm a working visual artist with a real passion for marketing. I've been nationally recognized for my highly detailed pencil drawings and have collaborated on projects with sports icons such as Michael Jordan, Sidney Crosby, Bobby Orr, etc. But in the last year I began to feel unfulfilled by drawing alone. So I began to search out another way to express more of my creative ideas. Recently I discovered that outlet was videos.

I've built my art career on the marketing provided by media organizations. Meaning I used the media to sell my story - for free! I've literally received millions of dollars worth of advertising (in the last 2-3 years alone) and paid almost nothing for it. The secret? There is none. It's really quite easy if you find the right angle to sell your story. The media needs stories. They aren't interested in selling your products. But they are interested in telling your story in a way that appeals to their viewers.

But the focus of most of the media I've received has been offline (ie: print, TV, radio). It wasn't until I read a great marketing book recently titled "Trust me, I'm lying", that I used the same techniques online for one of my first videos. This book explained the power of blogs, and how they are used to feed our news cycle.

So I combined offline and online techniques to make my first video a solid success. Let me explain.

I created a video titled "Breakin Labels". It was a 3 minute spoken word video I wrote and performed about my son who has Down Syndrome. It was an emotional video from the heart. As a piece of art, I'm very proud of it. But as a marketer I also understood emotion sells very well.

When the video was done I posted it to my Facebook page to get some feedback and shares. Then I began sending it to blogs. I started near the top with Huffington Post (canada). They posted it on their site, calling it was "powerful." I then included their quote in the rest of the emails and messages I sent. (NOTE: a quote like that from a big blog gives your email/message more weight. Other blogs want to follow).

Soon it was picked up by Upworthy. Once they posted it was picked back up by Huffington Post (America) and then many other blogs followed. Once you hit those big blogs it just becomes a feeder to so many others. Meanwhile I then began to send it around offline media organizations. I ended up doing three TV interviews (one on a national level) on the topic, as well as a newspaper article and a radio interview. In total 5 interviews.

All this marketing took about one week. The end result? 77,000 views in about 10 days. Not a huge gangum style success - but something I think most people would be happy with. I know I was. Especially when my goal was only 10,000 views.

So the kicker is this: I've tried to market two humorous videos since (online only - not to offline press) but didn't have the same success (on average each video received about 1,500 views in two weeks and were only picked up by a couple same facebook sites). So what I learned is selling emotion is much easier (which makes sense when you explain most viral stuff, it creates emotion of some sort). But I like to make funny videos as well and obviously that will take a different approach I'll learn as I go.

Anyway, that's my two cents. It can be extremely helpful if used properly. I hope this post gives you some ideas for marketing your videos (or channel).

Last edited:
Actually, I don't have all the answers yet but stick with me. Because I do have a lot of proven advice to share you'll find helpful in getting views for your videos. Let me explain the Coles Notes version on my background so you can see where I'm coming from. Then I'll explain how I used it to successfully get a lot of views on one video.

I'm a working visual artist with a real passion for marketing. I've been nationally recognized for my highly detailed pencil drawings and have collaborated on projects with sports icons such as Michael Jordan, Sidney Crosby, Bobby Orr, etc. But in the last year I began to feel creatively unfulfilled by drawing alone - so I began to search out another way to express more of my artistic ideas. Recently, I discovered that outlet through videos.

I've built my art career on the free marketing provided by media organizations. Meaning I used the media to sell my story - for free! I've literally received millions of dollars worth of advertising (in the last 2-3 years alone) and paid almost nothing for it. The secret? There is none. It's really quite easy if you find the right angle to sell your story. The media needs stories. They aren't interested in selling your products. But they are interested in telling your story in a way that appeals to their viewers.

But the focus of most of the media I've received has been offline (ie: print, TV, radio). It wasn't until I read a great marketing book recently titled "Trust me, I'm lying", that I used the same techniques online for one of my first videos. This book explained the power of blogs, and how they are used to feed our news cycle.

So I combined offline and online techniques to make my first video a solid success. Let me explain.

I created a video titled "Breakin Labels". It was a 3 minute spoken word video I wrote and performed about my son who has Down Syndrome. It was an emotional video from the heart. As a piece of art, I'm very proud of it. But as a marketer I also understood emotion sells very well.

When the video was done I posted it to my Facebook page to get some feedback and shares. Then I began sending it to blogs. I started near the top with Huffington Post (canada). They posted it on their site, calling it was "powerful." I then included their quote in the rest of the emails and messages I sent. (NOTE: a quote like that from a big blog gives your email/message more weight. Other blogs want to follow).

Soon it was picked up by Upworthy. Once they posted it was picked back up by Huffington Post (America) and then many other blogs followed. Once you hit those big blogs it just becomes a feeder to so many others. Meanwhile I then began to send it around offline media organizations. I ended up doing three TV interviews (one on a national level) on the topic, as well as a newspaper article and a radio interview. In total 5 interviews.

All this marketing took about one week. The end result? 77,000 views in about 10 days. Not a huge gangum style success - but something I think most people would be happy with. I know I was. Especially when my goal was only 10,000 views.

So the kicker is this: I've tried to market two humorous videos since (online only - not to offline press) but didn't have the same success (on average each video received about 1,500 views in two weeks and were only picked up by a couple same facebook sites). So what I learned is selling emotion is much easier (which makes sense when you explain most viral stuff, it creates emotion of some sort). But I like to make funny videos as well and obviously that will take a different approach I'll learn as I go.

Anyway, that's my two cents. It can be extremely helpful if used properly. I hope this post gives you some ideas for marketing your videos (or channel).
Funny you mention Huffington Post, that's one place I was thinking of when brainstorming on how to make a video go viral with a little jumpstart. I just don't know how to contact the correct person... So how did you get your video to them anyways?

Last edited:
Funny you mention Huffington Post, that's one place I was thinking of when brainstorming on how to make a video go viral with a little jumpstart. I just don't know how to contact the correct person...

I preference this response by saying I'm still learning about online marketing. I'm quite experienced in offline marketing but am pretty new to marketing to online blogs and the like.

So my answer is that I contacted the Huffington Post facebook pages first. Then hit up the contact link on the website. But also look on certain website for articles that might pertain to your topic. See whose written the article and track them down online if you can and send them a person message.

It is crazy your views are amazing.. Yet they don't be translating into subs. How can you get more subs from the views you are receiving?

You're right. And I'm so new to Youtube I don't have anything to compare it against. So I didn't know whether that was a poor showing of subs, or good? It felt like it should have been better. But when I made that video I had zero subs and only 2 videos (neither were made as an attempt to build a channel). So maybe people were unsure whether this was a real channel. I received about 30 subs from that video.

So maybe once I add a few more vids, I'll begin marketing my channel as opposed to particular videos, with the purpose of getting subs.

I preference this response by saying I'm still learning about online marketing. I'm quite experienced in offline marketing but am pretty new to marketing to online blogs and the like.

So my answer is that I contacted the Huffington Post facebook pages first. Then hit up the contact link on the website. But also look on certain website for articles that might pertain to your topic. See whose written the article and track them down online if you can and send them a person message.
only thing I haven't done that you mentioned is try the Facebook page which is actually what I was just about to do. I have to do it through my phone though because it's blocked on this computer. Maybe I'll try the Canada route too, I've only tried US editors (maybe they have way more to sort through or something).[DOUBLEPOST=1389985268,1389985228][/DOUBLEPOST]
You're right. And I'm so new to Youtube I don't have anything to compare it against. So I didn't know whether that was a poor showing of subs, or weak. I assumed it should have been better. But when I made that video I had zero subs. I received about 30 from that video.

So maybe once I add a few more vids, I'll begin marketing my channel as opposed to particular videos, with the purpose of getting subs.
dude take a look at my sub to view ratio, it will make you feel better....

You're right. And I'm so new to Youtube I don't have anything to compare it against. So I didn't know whether that was a poor showing of subs, or weak. I assumed it should have been better. But when I made that video I had zero subs. I received about 30 from that video.

I just know on average.. how ever many subs you have you should expect between 10 to 25 percent of them viewing.. right now we have just over 400 subs which we have gained over the past year.. On average our views are about 100 per video. Which according to most trends is expected.. Out of those videos we seem to gain 2 to 3 new subs each video and we only are getting 100 views... So I would think a video getting 1000's of views should be getting way more subs but I don't know this is all speculation on my part.

I just know on average.. how ever many subs you have you should expect between 10 to 25 percent of them viewing.. right now we have just over 400 subs which we have gained over the past year.. On average our views are about 100 per video. Which according to most trends is expected.. Out of those videos we seem to gain 2 to 3 new subs each video and we only are getting 100 views... So I would think a video getting 1000's of views should be getting way more subs but I don't know this is all speculation on my part.
I get 1 sub for every 3,426.39 views... I wonder if this is some kind of record

I wouldn't disagree. With close to 90,000 channel views I would like to see more than 50 subs. But hopefully I'll learn as I go and increase that ratio.

Back