If I knew how to help you, I'd be a youtube star myself.
There are many ways to catch people's attention.
If you can get top comments on famous videos, some people will check you out. You can also let channels use your music, and have them leave a link to your channel on the description. You can also go to the recent posted videos, and leave a comment and a like. It's rather likely that they will check the one guy commenting their stuff.
Keep in mind that not everyone will be interested in your content. There are true musical prodigies, like say, Tim Minchin, who are pretty famous, but still don't have much of an youtube following. But that shouldn't be a problem to you. Yet.....

If I knew how to help you, I'd be a youtube star myself.
There are many ways to catch people's attention.
If you can get top comments on famous videos, some people will check you out. You can also let channels use your music, and have them leave a link to your channel on the description. You can also go to the recent posted videos, and leave a comment and a like. It's rather likely that they will check the one guy commenting their stuff.
Keep in mind that not everyone will be interested in your content. There are true musical prodigies, like say, Tim Minchin, who are pretty famous, but still don't have much of an youtube following. But that shouldn't be a problem to you. Yet.....
Thank you so much for the advice! :) Commenting on recently posted videos is a really good idea!

Hey buddy!

First off: a ginormous THANK YOU for taking the time to give me so much in-depth feedback! I really REALLY appreciate it :) You know what actually? For this awesome act of kindness I'll hapilly go and ad 1/17 of your sub count to what you already have! ;-)

You say A LOT of very reasonable things.. But there is one thing I have to point out though. It is clear in your comment, that you haven't visited my channel xD It's completely okay, it's not something that I would expect you to do, but it would have saved you a bit of writing time...
I always make videos (never just upload a picture with music) , and I've worked a lot on showing emotions through my face and body language. I even just spent 500$ in a new camera to up my vid quality as much as possible, and I do have a bit of studio recording gear. Also, I hardly ever make a cover song the same style as the original - my main thing is actually creating acapella arrangements as different from the originals as possible, but I've also done some Disney songs, some accoustic, home-arranged covers of Drake, and a lot of collabs with other channels. I know that I am still not the only person who does these sort of things, but it certainly narrows down the field (which is probably also why I have four top results on acapella songs).

What you say about haters is pretty well thought through though (haha funny word constellation). Somehow I feel like I already knew the point of what you wrote before I read it, yet I have never thought it through in that exact manner that you present it in. I don't really get hate comments though... I have one single out of about 2.000 comments overall. I do get dislikes from time to time though! :-D But I guess those can be used as a discussion topic in the comments as well, even though it might not be as effective...

But hey buddy - thanks! You really did a good piece of work in your comment there! Good luck with your channel :)[DOUBLEPOST=1484140593,1484140319][/DOUBLEPOST]
Haha, thanks for the tip! I already try to vary my content as much as earthly possible. My latest videos consist of 1) a collab with a piano-guy, 2) a vlog-thingy about the new year, 3) a Minecraft parody song made as a collab with a Minecraft channel, 4) an acapella + kazoo cover of an EDM song and 5) an acapella cover for a cover contest (in which I actually got in the top 10 of 600 contestants! :-D )
So I would say I try to do different kinds of videos to vary my content :)[DOUBLEPOST=1484140956][/DOUBLEPOST]
Awesome advice, thank you!
I am very lucky when it comes to collabs... Lately I've befriended some pretty big channels (like, relatively big... big compared to my own at least) whom I am doing collabs with. I've got 1 5k subs channel, 2 10k sub channels, 1 19k sub channel and 1 24k sub channel... I am doing my best to do these people justice, and I do get a bit of benefit from working with them. I also do try to keep and eye out for smaller but talented channels, as they can bring just as many creative ideas and awesome content to the table - even though you don't benefit as much view/sub wise from them. The smallest channel I've collabed with has 57 subs and the biggest has 19k - so there's wuite of a span there xD

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply - it is highly appreciated![DOUBLEPOST=1484141173][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thanks for the tip! :) That is a bit harder to do with music though... I think the tagging possibilities are a bit more limited in my 'line of work' ;-)

Hi bud

Yeah i totally agree , i didn't really plan on writing it all out otherwise i would have visited your channel before hand, although i did want to make it clear i hadn't visited your channel which i believe i did. My initial approach was just to give you the basic tips like we all know but when i began i sort of wanted to be a little more helpful then the usual garbage tips hahaha. I still haven't visited your channel bud but i will do after i have written this.

From what i have read it seems you are doing all the rights steps in what a channel should be doing which brings me to wonder why you need to ask for tips hahaha. I feel your at that point where nothing is growing at the moment and you are in what people feal a stalemate mode. If so then i would ride it through bud. From things i have watched and things i have read around you tube it seems this is the normal channels course. I guess going the distance and riding times like stalemates through makes a good you tuber and is what splits the wheat from the chaff so to speak. From what i have read it seem you are doing pretty decent so just continue what your doing. I would love to be massive too but i'm just an old fart with nothing better to do haha.

Nice chatting with you bud , im heading over to you channel now dude :)

Ps My wife is a very good singer too, she just did a cover of an Adele song well i say just it was lat year i will try and find it somewhere on you tube lol cant remember where i put it :p[DOUBLEPOST=1484313234][/DOUBLEPOST]Totally see your stlye bud, you have some awesome sound equipment bud and sound pretty dam good. keep it up bud, well done.

Hi bud

Yeah i totally agree , i didn't really plan on writing it all out otherwise i would have visited your channel before hand, although i did want to make it clear i hadn't visited your channel which i believe i did. My initial approach was just to give you the basic tips like we all know but when i began i sort of wanted to be a little more helpful then the usual garbage tips hahaha. I still haven't visited your channel bud but i will do after i have written this.

From what i have read it seems you are doing all the rights steps in what a channel should be doing which brings me to wonder why you need to ask for tips hahaha. I feel your at that point where nothing is growing at the moment and you are in what people feal a stalemate mode. If so then i would ride it through bud. From things i have watched and things i have read around you tube it seems this is the normal channels course. I guess going the distance and riding times like stalemates through makes a good you tuber and is what splits the wheat from the chaff so to speak. From what i have read it seem you are doing pretty decent so just continue what your doing. I would love to be massive too but i'm just an old fart with nothing better to do haha.

Nice chatting with you bud , im heading over to you channel now dude :)

Ps My wife is a very good singer too, she just did a cover of an Adele song well i say just it was lat year i will try and find it somewhere on you tube lol cant remember where i put it :p[DOUBLEPOST=1484313234][/DOUBLEPOST]Totally see your stlye bud, you have some awesome sound equipment bud and sound pretty dam good. keep it up bud, well done.
Thanks man! Glad you like my stuff!
And yeah, I guess staying consistent even when progress is slow is what makes a good youtuber
Thanks for being so thorough, I really appreciate it!

You just got to continue the hussle.

- Continue to stay active in all communities. From commenting on YouTube, to going to an artists @replies and join conversations with their fans on Twitter, join Musician communities on Facebook.
- If you promote your stuff on other social media, don't just direct people to YouTube. Twitter and Facebook want to keep people on those networks as long as possible and will promote your content less if you drive them away from it. Upload your videos natively to those networks, go live and do a short performance with Facebook Live/Periscope (Twitter owns that) and make sure you keep them active.
- Create a list of 100 music websites/blogs and a list of 100 Music/Artist Centric Podcasts. Go out of your way and reach out if they could show off your work. Tell them if they want, you could also contribute to the post if need be (say for example, how you compose your latest song.) Same deal with podcasts, contact them and ask if there is a spot where you could come on and join their podcast for an episode.
- Continue to collaborate. Keep your contacts close, promote their work if they enjoy it and just be nice to them.
- Have a list of multiple CTA's, not just telling them to Subscribe. Alternate them each video.

That's just a few ideas off the top of my head.

You just got to continue the hussle.

- Continue to stay active in all communities. From commenting on YouTube, to going to an artists @replies and join conversations with their fans on Twitter, join Musician communities on Facebook.
- If you promote your stuff on other social media, don't just direct people to YouTube. Twitter and Facebook want to keep people on those networks as long as possible and will promote your content less if you drive them away from it. Upload your videos natively to those networks, go live and do a short performance with Facebook Live/Periscope (Twitter owns that) and make sure you keep them active.
- Create a list of 100 music websites/blogs and a list of 100 Music/Artist Centric Podcasts. Go out of your way and reach out if they could show off your work. Tell them if they want, you could also contribute to the post if need be (say for example, how you compose your latest song.) Same deal with podcasts, contact them and ask if there is a spot where you could come on and join their podcast for an episode.
- Continue to collaborate. Keep your contacts close, promote their work if they enjoy it and just be nice to them.
- Have a list of multiple CTA's, not just telling them to Subscribe. Alternate them each video.

That's just a few ideas off the top of my head.
Thanks man! This really seems like some top notch insider tips - exactly what I was looking for! Huge props for helping me out! :)

Back