Taking breaks from recording and uploading

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Do you ever feel guilty about taking holidays as a YouTube Creator? In this episode of Creator Coffees, YouTube creator Elle Mills sits down with YouTube employees Matt and Todd to discuss creator holidays – do they affect channel performance? How will viewers react? What are the pros and cons?

I personally think sometimes you have to take a break otherwise the routine becomes monotonous and you'd start hating it otherwise.

What are your opinions on taking breaks and not uploading? :)

Previously when I have gone on holiday, I have created videos in advance and released them on a schedule, or uploaded them as private then released them one by one. I am taking a more relaxed approach to recording now I used to be really militant a couple of years ago ... 3/4 vids a week level, but now I am trying to be more realistic, 1 vid a week and if I have more time I will drop an extra one.

I think it's simialr to work, if you were to take 2 weeks off work then you would plan and organise yourself so you have it in a place where you can go on holiday and not worry, whether than is informing the viewers that you won't be uploading or you have videos pre-filmed and edited.

I basically guilt myself 100 percent of the time I'm not doing something related to my channel, and even if I am, there's still a degree of guilt depending on what it is I'm doing. I think it'll be hard not to guilt myself until I "make it."

I have, at present, 5 weeks worth of videos completed. Nobody ever knows when I go on vacation. It's all scheduled ahead of time.

I got off the treadmill a few months ago. I stopped my regularly scheduled Tuesday, Friday and Saturday shows. It allows me to work on projects that have more potential. I haven't really gotten to them yet (lol) but the channel is slowly picking up in views as I change my overall channel(s) strategies.

Nah. Don't feel guilty. If you don't have the passion or drive, or you're going through a mental block at some stages, so be it. YouTube should be a fun platform, not another stressful nine to five job type thing. I do think some people get delusions of grandeur on YouTube as if they are changing the world or something. It's just a video posting site, calm down people.

I got off the treadmill a few months ago. I stopped my regularly scheduled Tuesday, Friday and Saturday shows. It allows me to work on projects that have more potential. I haven't really gotten to them yet (lol) but the channel is slowly picking up in views as I change my overall channel(s) strategies.

Yeah I did the same last summer and to a lesser extent at Chrismas too. I find it interesting how my most loyal subscribers reacted. After only an unnounced 3 week break during Christmas, I got lots of "welcome back comments" when I started uploading again. It goes to show how closely some viewers follow you.

Back