Tags

Studz McGee

Liking YTtalk
What sort of tags should I include in videos to make them easier to find? It's always something I just sort of spam, and I'm pretty sure that's not their purpose...

Tags are very important, so it is easy to over-think them and worry about them too much. Actually they are quite simple to use and understand.

Use tag words and phrases that will help people to find your video. Think to yourself "what words and phrases are viewers likely to use if they are searching for my video?". For example, if your video is about Formula 1 racing then you could use tags such as "Formula 1 racing", "Lewis Hamilton", "Red Bull race team", etc etc.

What you should NOT do is use "Jake Paul", Pewdiepie", "Minecraft" and other tags that have absolutely nothing to do with the video, although being popular search parameters on YouTube. THAT would be spammy.

I hope you don't mind, but I took a quick look at your channel and would say that you need to seriously think about your titles before you even start on your tags. The titles of your videos give me no idea whatsoever of what the content is about. The YouTube search engine will pick up words from your title first, then your description, then your tags. So make sure the title really explains what the video is about.

Actually wait a second...I'm going to take a look at one of your videos...

OK - your latest one "Contagion with philofhatsandgames". I literally had no idea what I was about to watch, but then realised that Contagion is a video game and that you played it with a guy called "Philofhatsandgames".

I put the word "Contagion" into the YouTube search field and found that "Contagion gameplay" was one of the first predicted search parameters. I would recommend that you rename this "Contagion gameplay; Battle of the YouTubers" or something similar, since not many people will have heard of or be searching for philofhatsandgames.

Its all about making it easy for the YouTube search engine to find your content and catalogue it appropriately. YouTube cannot possibly know if you are referring to Contagion the game, Contagion the film, or Contagion the epidemic if you don't use words to let it know.

Hope this helps.

Yeah don't spam keywords, that's not helpful for you. Anything 'gaming' related will have strong competition for that keyword so also narrow it down to the game's titled or any specifics related to your content. There are squillions of gaming channels which i guess will make it harder to get your content near the top of search results. Here is what works!!. Also make sure that your keywords appear in your description (but in a some form of dialog, not just copy paste the actual keywords as a list etc), and also make sure that the relevant keywords are things that you are actually saying in the video audio. The YouTube is smarter than most humans and can extract words from your audio to see if they match up with your keywords, title, and description. Basically make sure you put some thought into all of those. Currently you didn't have much at all in the descriptions that I checked. Your missing a trick here.. put some text. Hope helps

Back