Spring Copyright Claim-Hunt Season Begins Early!

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Spring isn't here yet; however the annual Spring Copyright Claim Hunt has already begun!

For those of you who are new to the forum or are unfamiliar with this yearly post series, every Spring brings out the Content Management Companies to begin their annual hunt for videos they don't own, yet feel they can legally claim through Content ID and monetize on behalf of their clientele.

Frequently, the claimed media doesn't match the CID fingerprint it is alleged to be a piece of. With equal frequency, the claimed media is Non-Exclusive content which should never have been submitted to CID to begin with.

I just sent the following email to a Content Manager I'd never heard of till now: Videomite Music; location: Turkey.

"Hello!

Are you aware of the fact that by allowing the entirety of a video produced by your clientele to be placed as a fingerprint into the YouTube Content ID database, your organization may become a party to copyright fraud, which is a crime worldwide?

All videos which use Royalty-Free stock footage, must only be submitted as an audio fingerprint. Studio-shot music videos or concert videos featuring director-choreographed or onstage live performances may have their video portions submitted as well.

Today, your organization claimed this YouTube video and attempted to monetize it on a music artist's behalf; on the grounds that the main video clip used in it matched one in your artist's video.

[redacted video URL: I don't have VIP]

The clip in question is a non-exclusively licensed, Royalty Free video clip; and as such, couldn't possibly be under the exclusive ownership of the artist in question. Your claim is an abuse of YouTube's Content ID System; and I request that you correct your error and release this claim immediately.
I would also if I were you, do an immediate check of all fingerprints you have in the CID database; both audio and video, to make sure there are no other instances of RF music or video.

Persistent abuse of Content ID is grounds for ejection from the Content Management System Programme.

Respectfully,

Jocelyn L. H. Jensen; founder and owner of Hypno-Systems UK and Hypnotic Mindscapes Records "

I say unto you all; every creator-member here: Check your Video Manager daily; season doesn't close till mid-June!

Reactions: CousinEd

The BBQ Chef

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It doesn't seem that the season finished last year.
I get about 2 claims a week from a "company" on my other channel claiming audio of Cars racing when all of the footage was shot be me....... It can't possibly be matched because it's amateur cars racing. It is annoying but they release the claim pretty quickly when it's appealed. Think I'm up to 46 claims by the same people now.

Reactions: UKHypnotist

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
It doesn't seem that the season finished last year.
I get about 2 claims a week from a "company" on my other channel claiming audio of Cars racing when all of the footage was shot be me....... It can't possibly be matched because it's amateur cars racing. It is annoying but they release the claim pretty quickly when it's appealed. Think I'm up to 46 claims by the same people now.
Ambient, generic sounds like car engines should not be uploaded as fingerprints in the first place. When you dispute, be sure to include this information; stating that an ineligible fingerprint is involved.

Reactions: The BBQ Chef

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
snip
Persistent abuse of Content ID is grounds for ejection from the Content Management System Programme.
I also write letters in the same tone, but at the end I also include that the incident will be forwarded to YouTube staff and I also record the misuse for further reference and will eventually use it in the future with other victims information as evidence of their past behaviour. Over the years I had received many bogus claims (all of them released after first rejected disputes) from labels all around the world. May be we shall create a database with all the incorrect claims (I have them dating back to 2012) and make it accessible to YouTube for reference. (Hall Of Shame).

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I also write letters in the same tone, but at the end I also include that the incident will be forwarded to YouTube staff and I also record the misuse for further reference and will eventually use it in the future with other victims information as evidence of their past behaviour. Over the years I had received many bogus claims (all of them released after first rejected disputes) from labels all around the world. May be we shall create a database with all the incorrect claims (I have them dating back to 2012) and make it accessible to YouTube for reference. (Hall Of Shame).
I have recorded many claim disputes via screen shot, should you choose to eventually create that database. They span multiple channels, and even multiple accounts. Please PM me with relevant submission information should you choose to call for them.