Spike in number of YouTube users

IWACK

Man from Spaghetti-Land
I think there's been a serious growth in the number of people that have a YouTube account between 2012 and 2013. (example: Smosh had about 3 million subscribers at the beginning of 2012. Now it has 9 million)
Any theories to why this has happened?

I think the success of Gangnam Style may have influenced this. It mad a lot of buzz.
The trend to be "nerdy" in a "cool" way that developed the past year made people want to get a Youtube account and pretend to be a nerd.

I think there's been a serious growth in the number of people that have a YouTube account between 2012 and 2013. (example: Smosh had about 3 million subscribers at the beginning of 2012. Now it has 9 million)

I think the success of Gangnam Style may have influenced this. It mad a lot of buzz.
The trend to be "nerdy" in a "cool" way that developed the past year made people want to get a Youtube account and pretend to be a nerd.
I think it was when people were able to combine just about everything together into one biiiig google account and as a matter of fact alot of people I know have been turned off Youtube recently :/

Honestly? I think it was the moment they allowed everyone to be a Partner. People saw the success of people like JennaMarbles and Pewds and thought 'hey look, I can be rich too with zero effort'.
That`s more a spike in the uploading channels, most people were still on the site just not uploading :p

@OP I think it comes down to the snowball effect where the more users you have the more you have or to put it simply, if 1M subs refer it to 1 friend, then you`ll be on 2M, but if 3M subs refer it to 1 friend then you`ll be on 6M and then if they all refer it to 1 friend. And so on...

My professor was telling us that right now, specifically social media is BOOMING. The last four months, content has been spread so fast by such a wide range of target markets than ever before. But if you want an in depth answer, I'm sure this is right on gisikw 's field

I think it's because alot of people now have more than one account, because they can get "partner" without doing anything usefull.

Hmmm interesting point! Maybe Gangnam did influence it... baring in mind the population of the whole WORLD is ever increasing exponetially, so it could have just more people in the world coming to Youtube, but thats still a lot.
Well noticed!

It's likely a number of things combining. Wildly popular internet videos, combined with people looking to get rich quick and the Google account merging going on add up to a spike in people getting on YouTube. It has good and bad components.

Back