Spending money to make money

It does seem that skits cost less in terms of dollars, but more in terms of time. Especially with the current trends of using special effects and green screens, the videos take a lot of time to plan, execute, and edit. And some of those props the Russian channels use are quite pricey! Where do they ge tthose giant watermelong balloons and gigantic lolly pops and huge ice cream models?

I miss the good old days of cracking open a giant egg. We're going to do some again. It's been a while, there must be some kids who like them. But even giant eggs take some effort - like now, it's 1:15AM and the wife is hard at working getting the egg ready for filming tomorrow - what a trooper!

View attachment 40549

Haha you are so right, green screens take so long to edit among adding special effects.. Haha yes they are! You can get them on Amazon but for a price. Me too, I wish those and simple toy reviews would make a come back. Aww go Mommy! She is a trooper! Maybe you can be the one to make those trend come back ;)

So far we haven't spent any money, and we try to keep our videos on a low budget, and be creative and use what we have. As far as equipment, we already had most of it.

Julia and Claire

People who do product reviews often spend way more on the items than they ever get in ad revenue.

I agree, seems so now. I think viewers are over product reviews and unboxing for the most part. It's like how many zombie movies can you watch until you want to throw the remote at the damn screen. But I think 1-2 years ago, if you had a photogenic toy and were the first with it, you got some serious views. There was that 12V pink PowerWheels carriage, I think the channel that got in onto Yt first got something like 100M views. Now you need an angle - make things appear and disappear, cut into pieces, pop out of the proverbial, or chase, bite, scare, maim or crush, to get any traction. I wonder that the next thing will be.

As it stands, I have spent around $100 on my YouTube channel in the month that I've been active. 95% of that was on equipment - I bought a scissor arm, a Blue Snowball iCE microphone, a pop filter and some headphones. I also subscribe to VidIQ. That got me started. Since I do Let's Plays mainly at the moment, I also have to spend money on games once in a while, but not all the time. I also have a website which costs about $11 each month, and despite that it's now dedicated to my videos/streaming/etc., it was previously a video game review site which is how I built my following on Twitter. So ultimately yeah, I've definitely spent money and not made any (which I'm cool with!) but I don't think most of what I've done is super necessary for the beginning YouTuber.

Even though I'm not making money now most of my videos will end up making me money in the long run so I don't mind spending money to make videos. I'm gonna start doing giveaways soon and hopefully that will bring in some more active subs/twitter followers etc. who will keep watching my videos.

It does seem that skits cost less in terms of dollars, but more in terms of time. Especially with the current trends of using special effects and green screens, the videos take a lot of time to plan, execute, and edit. And some of those props the Russian channels use are quite pricey! Where do they get those giant watermelon balloons and gigantic lolly pops and huge ice cream models?

I miss the good old days of cracking open a giant egg. We're going to do some again. It's been a while, there must be some kids who like them. But even giant eggs take some effort - like now, it's 1:15AM and the wife is hard at working getting the egg ready for filming tomorrow - what a trooper!

View attachment 40549

Love the photo you included of Mom hard at work at odd hours.

I myself tend to be very cheap with videos and only use what I have, except in rare or special occasions, although I guess it would depend. For a sub milestone, I would be willing to shell out a few bucks. Peace out! ~Column 1

Last edited:
I have invested a lot of money on equipment towards my channel, but I don't care if I get that money back. (Likely won't happen, anyways)

Back