Sony Vegas Help

tater259

Hello . I been using Virtural Dub for a while now and I got it all worked out to make good high quality looking video but fot the life of me cannot figure out how to add my intro to it. Gives me tons of errors.

So I got Sony Vegas Pro 11. Trying to learn it but having hard time. I record 1920x1080 using fraps for youtube videos. Once I render out my videos the quality is not as good as I can get using virtural dub or even windows movie maker in fact. I know my settings are wrong just no idea how to fix it. I did finally find a good combo and the gameplay looked great but two video files about 6 gb in total turned out rendered at 45gb. So If I do a full 30+minute gameplay I would imagine it would turn out well over 200gb. So I need your guys help. How can I render with nice good looking quality but keep the files at a smaller size? Below are the info on the videos in question.

General
Complete name : D:\Fraps\
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 3.91 GiB
Duration : 3mn 7s
Overall bit rate : 179 Mbps

Video
ID : 0
Format : Fraps
Codec ID : FPS1
Bit rate : 177 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Color space : YUV
Bit depth : 8 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 2.854
Stream size : 3.88 GiB (99%)

Audio
ID : 1
Format : PCM
Format settings, Endianness : Little
Format settings, Sign : Signed
Codec ID : 1
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 411.2 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream : 31.6 MiB (1%)
Interleave, duration : 999 ms (29.93 video frames)

Hello . I been using Virtural Dub for a while now and I got it all worked out to make good high quality looking video but fot the life of me cannot figure out how to add my intro to it. Gives me tons of errors.

So I got Sony Vegas Pro 11. Trying to learn it but having hard time. I record 1920x1080 using fraps for youtube videos. Once I render out my videos the quality is not as good as I can get using virtural dub or even windows movie maker in fact. I know my settings are wrong just no idea how to fix it. I did finally find a good combo and the gameplay looked great but two video files about 6 gb in total turned out rendered at 45gb. So If I do a full 30+minute gameplay I would imagine it would turn out well over 200gb. So I need your guys help. How can I render with nice good looking quality but keep the files at a smaller size? Below are the info on the videos in question.

General
Complete name : D:\Fraps\
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 3.91 GiB
Overall bit rate : 179 Mbps

Video
ID : 0
Format : Fraps
Codec ID : FPS1
Bit rate : 177 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Color space : YUV
Bit depth : 8 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 2.854
Stream size : 3.88 GiB (99%)

Audio
ID : 1
Format : PCM
Format settings, Endianness : Little
Format settings, Sign : Signed
Codec ID : 1
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 411.2 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream : 31.6 MiB (1%)
Interleave, duration : 999 ms (29.93 video frames)
i was wondering the same too, usually fraps takes alot of my computer space, i delete the old video that i didnt use anymore

I'm not sure exactly what problem you're having but I've got a rough Idea of what you're talking about and I think I can help.

First off, make sure you're using the right render settings. Vegas 11 has just about every file type and and resolution so it takes a bit of digging through the drop-down render menu to find the right resolution that will still be an uploadable file (YouTube cuts you off at 2 gigs unless you're a major partner) The .wmv options are pretty good for this and you still can get 1080 even though you can only squeeze 1080-30p out of it. .mp4 files offer much higher setting and color detail but the files are COLOSSAL. I was originally going to upload my new Deus Ex series as an .mp4 but it would have been 11 gigs between 2 parts instead of 3.8 gigs between 2 parts.

It should also be said that Fraps does not record in 1080p. It records as high quality as your computer will let it, with as many frames that your computer can process and that you have it set to up to 4K-90p resolution (which at present time, there is no game made in that high of a resolution and only 1 TV out there that can show that much, no monitors or anything) So you will always lose some quality after processing because there's just so much of it. This also should explain why those files are so damn big; Fraps is recording every pixel that your computer sees and as many frames as possible.

I think you're problem is you haven't set the recording framerate high enough in Fraps. Fraps rounds Down to the nearest multiple of 15 when recording, so If you have it set to 29.97 it will only record 15 frames a second. you can't render something in 30 frames a seconds if it was only 15 frames a seconds to begin with. I have my custom framerate set to 45/second right now and it's all I could ever need.

Ok I get what your saying pretty much.

My problem is my render quality is not good using Sony Vegas. 10 being best 0 being worst its like at a 5. So if I record in 45fps what do I need to render at? If I cant figure it out just will go back to virtural dub I got that down pat :=)

I'm starting to get lost at what exactly your problem is. Your rendering can only put out the highest quality that you can put in. It looked like your original problem was that you had Fraps set to the default custom framerate that they leave at 29.970 for some weird reason despite rounding down to the 15's- that's why you were having trouble rendering in .

I think the Sony Vegas Forums would be a lot better suited to figure this thing out than I am. It's filled with the folks who use vegas professionally and know it like the back of their hands. I'm sure there's a game caster there who can get this figured out. It won't let me post the link so google sony vegas help and look for 'creative cow forums' that's where it is

My problem is my finished rendered video has bad quality. I just ran another test and the settings I used turned out better than the previous ones. Just not as good as it should be cause I know I can get better quality sense I rendered the same video clip in virturaldub and looks great. atlas if you get time at you next convenience can you post screenshots of settings and render settings?

When you hit the little render button on your toolbar, it should open a little popup window that prompts you to name the final product and designate where you want to put it on your hard drive. Below those options there are a bunch of different file types that all have little arrows before them which means that it's a drop down menu. If you scroll down a bit you'll find the options for windows media video (.wmv files) and XDCAM(.mp4 files). double clicking on those should give you the options to upload in varying qualities from 240 to 1920x1080. it helps to favorite the ones you'd like to use regularly so you don't have to did through all the other settings

Rendersettings.jpg

Not really sure how to fix what your describing but have you checked the sticky "Vegas rendering configuration tutorial" in this forum section yet?
Maybe he has a answer for you.

Back