Should I Still Use This Video?

Toast Gaming

YTtalk Mad
Hey all,

I'm having a bit of a dilemma. I have a gaming channel and wanted to create a new series that was inspired by Levelcap gaming (a 1M+ sub channel) called Custom Kit that has viewers give me ideas for a custom loadout to use in the game Battlefield 1 and then I use the kit and give my thoughts and analysis based on my experience using it. He has a similar series called Loadout though his focuses more on general game mechanics where mine focuses more specifically on how the pieces of the kit work individually and how they compliment one another.

I had a handful of entries when I suggested the idea in a previous video and the one I chose was a German Stormtrooper loadout. I gathered my footage, made the video (which I was very happy with the result) and uploaded it on Sunday for a Wednesday release (since I release videos on Wednesday and Saturdays). Fast forward to Monday morning and Levelcap gaming releases a loadout video called German Stormtrooper that was nearly identical to the specifications of the one that my subscriber had.

I feel like if I release my video now, I will be looked at as merely a copy of a bigger YouTuber despite having created it prior to the bigger video releasing. I'm having a bit of a dilemma - do I scrap it completely? Run it as normal? Revise it to acknowledge the levelcap video? Push back its release?

Mods - if I put this in the wrong forum, my apologies and please move it.

Well sir, gaming is a huge industry on YouTube; and I believe if any kind of ownership came over such core series ideas then a lot of channels would be in a lot of trouble. Think of 'TOP 5' lists for gaming, and imagine if only the initial user who posted the first 'TOP 5' was the only person to use it.

I'd say go for it, and I would myself too. I'd start he video with your classic intro, followed by "This series is inspired by/based on X and Y", and then maybe mention their channel in the description for the first video? After that, just move along and enjoy producing the series as normal dude! :D

I had a similar experience with another video, I suggest you to scrap it entirely.

If you were happy with it, upload it! I mean what harm could be done? People get inspired by people all the time and even if you seem like a copy, al of your loyal subscribers will know you are not. Besides, now I kinda want to see the video, lol.

Well sir, gaming is a huge industry on YouTube; and I believe if any kind of ownership came over such core series ideas then a lot of channels would be in a lot of trouble. Think of 'TOP 5' lists for gaming, and imagine if only the initial user who posted the first 'TOP 5' was the only person to use it.

I'd say go for it, and I would myself too. I'd start he video with your classic intro, followed by "This series is inspired by/based on X and Y", and then maybe mention their channel in the description for the first video? After that, just move along and enjoy producing the series as normal dude! :D
Thank you for the advice :)[DOUBLEPOST=1484080108,1484080091][/DOUBLEPOST]
I had a similar experience with another video, I suggest you to scrap it entirely.
Did you actually post the video? If so, what happened? Just curious...[DOUBLEPOST=1484080152][/DOUBLEPOST]
If you were happy with it, upload it! I mean what harm could be done? People get inspired by people all the time and even if you seem like a copy, al of your loyal subscribers will know you are not. Besides, now I kinda want to see the video, lol.
The more I think about it the more I'm leaning toward doing it at a later date. I still like the video but feel like it may not be the best way to lead off a series given the circumstances.

i would jsut post it cause it was orgiginally your content and youtube is a big place and theres a large chance someone will have a video that will be closely related to one of yours so i say go ahead!

It's up to you. As long as your kit series is different and gives a unique take on the genre, I don't see the big deal. It's very hard to come up with something new or original because most likely, it's been done. It's up to you to give it a new kick or spin on it. As long as you did that, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't.

Did you actually post the video? If so, what happened? Just curious...
I uploaded it the day before the REALLY big name (We are talking about James Rolfe, for reference) made a video about it and while at first I tried to piggyback off it uploading a related video that got a lot of views I grew tired of the various "Angry Video Game Nerd brought me here" and "Still not as good as AVGN" comments so I said screw it and deleted both videos.

I uploaded it the day before the REALLY big name (We are talking about James Rolfe, for reference) made a video about it and while at first I tried to piggyback off it uploading a related video that got a lot of views I grew tired of the various "Angry Video Game Nerd brought me here" and "Still not as good as AVGN" comments so I said screw it and deleted both videos.
Oh wow, good to know. Thank you for the info.

Post it. So what if it's similar. A lot of gaming videos are similar. You'll be fine, and it's just one video. Just make sure you say where you got the idea from.

Back