Share your equipment info

We built a studio in our apartment and shoot most of our shows here. They end up looking like they probably cost more than they do, in part because we invested in some decent gear before we started filming.

A few things we have in the green screen studio are:
Cameras: 2x Panasonic GH-2 plus a selection of inexpensive canon & nikon lenses
Mic: Rode NTG-2
Recorder: Zoom H4N
Lights: mish-mash of a used Arri set and some hand built china balls and set lights. You can buy pro bulbs that screw into normal sockets, and then just build your own housing.
Editing: Maxed out Acer quad i5 system with 16GB RAM and a good video card. Software we have a Creative Cloud subscription that covers Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc etc

We did spend more than most do on equipment to launch a YouTube channel (but WAY less than you'd see on a small budget indie film), and basically 3/4th of the apartment has been converted to filming/production/office space, but the way we look at it is it's an investment in making sure we have the tools we need to grow our channel.[DOUBLEPOST=1376166802,1376166573][/DOUBLEPOST]

There's a lot of ways mics can get expensive fast, as most pro mics are intended to be used with pre-amps, mixers, special stands and holders, etc. I mention that because some mics I could suggest would fall into your price range, but require extra money to make them work.

It's a little over your price range, but I'd recommend investing in a Snowball USB mic. Good quality sound and it plugs straight into your computer, no extra stuff to buy.

Thanks for the suggestion

Laptop : Dell Latitude E6400
Camera : Canon 600D, with standard 18-55mm lens, (looking to get a canon 50mm f/1.8)
Editing software :I have both Premiere Pro and Sony vegas plus after effects.
Microphone: Built into camera
Also have a light which attaches to my camera and a tripod

Computer: 2011 Macbook Pro
Camera: Recently: Canon EOS Rebel T3i. Used to use Canon Powershot ELPH 110HS.
Editing Software: iMovie '11.
Tripod.

I have a pretty simple setup - no recording studio etc at all! However, Im kinda in-between equipment at the moment, and in the process of upgrading everything!

Laptop : I did have a 2012 MacBook Pro 13" - 2.9GHz Dual Core i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD - but I sold it a couple of months back as I want to get a 15" instead. I was waiting for the new MacBook Pro Retina upgrade but it didnt happen - should be coming in the next month or two though!

So, currently I have 2 systems:
1. 2013 MacBook Air 11" (1.7GHz Dual-Core i7 (Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel HD5000 1GB GPU). I use this as my portable machine - its always with me and I tether to my iPhone for internet wherever I need it.
2. 2012 Mac Mini Server (2.6GHz Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2x1TB HDD, Inte HD4000 GPU). This is my main media centre machine running Plex, as well as my main server in the house.

Im waiting on the new Haswell MacBook Pro Retina refresh, as mentioned above.
I will buy the 15" version and completely max the spec out as high as is possibly available (not sure on CPU, but will have at least 16GB RAM and 768GB SSD).
This will be my main workhorse/editing machine - at the moment Im using my server to edit, which isnt located in the ideal place (in the middle of the living room!).

So basically I will have 3 systems.
My main server machine, a portable 11" machine I keep with me at all times for business uses, and a 15" workhorse for all my editing and other heavier duty work.

Drives: My editing scratch disk is a Buffalo MiniStation ThunderBolt 1TB.
I also have a Drobo 5D, which I use for storage, as well as for editing when I'm local. Again its connected via Thunderbolt. Houses 5x3TB drives in a RAID5 array.

Camera : Again its awaiting an update! Ive literally just this weekend sold my Canon EOS 650D DSLR Body. I kept the 18-135mm STM lens and have pre-ordered a Canon EOS 70D instead due to its added features as well as instant autofocus during video recording! A new development for DSLR's!

I also have a GoPro Hero 3 Black edition with plenty of accessories and bacpacs.

Editing software : Final Cut Pro X and PixelMator for thumbnails

Microphone : Audio Technica ATR-3350 Lapel Mic - cheap and it does me really well!

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium
Processor - Intel Core i5 3570 3.40 GHz
Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST
RAM - 8 GB
Editing Software - Sony Vegas Pro 12
Microphone - Blue Snowball iCE
Recording Software - Fraps[DOUBLEPOST=1376170114,1376170055][/DOUBLEPOST]
My equipment is around 8.5 inches
:eek:

Laptop: Compaq Presario CQ57(Absoutely TERRIBLE for gaming...or anything for that matter) I plan to build my own gaming computer by Christmas.
Mic: TurtleBeach P11(Pretty good with minimal background noise) I'm also planning to get a Blue Snowball next week.
Editing Software: Camtasia Studio (ATM)
Windows Live Movie Maker(I live in Alabama, I can't afford better editing software)
Recording Software: Camtasia Recorder (ATM)
Keyboard: Logitech K120
Mouse: Some basic Microsoft mouse.

Here's a link to the parts for my gaming PC(Can't post links, so you know, replace the (dot) with a "."): pcpartpicker(dot)com/user/Magicfan32/saved/23x1

PC - 16Gb RAM, nVidia GTX670 video card. 1 SSD, 2 Sata Drives. Dual monitors. It can record most things at max settings and 30 FPS.
Software: Adobe CS6, FRAPS, Bandicam and DXTory
Audio Hardware: Shure SM7B microphone, Behringer Xenyx X1204USB, M-Audio studio monitor speakers.

Back