Script Writing Software

Well, there are a few that I have used.

If you're looking for a hardcore actual script kind of thing, then Trelby is a good start. It's free, that's really the only reason I recommend it.

If you're going more hardcore and you're willing to pay, then Celtx is pretty cool too. But it's a monthly subscription that's more costly than Netflix. And if it's more than Netflix, it's a no-no for me.

Then there's google docs and microsoft word.

If you were talking about scripts as in code, then Visual Studio 2017 is my Go-To because they're really all the same to me.

P.S. Sorry I couldn't give links. I wasn't allowed to.

Well, there are a few that I have used.

If you're looking for a hardcore actual script kind of thing, then Trelby is a good start. It's free, that's really the only reason I recommend it.

If you're going more hardcore and you're willing to pay, then Celtx is pretty cool too. But it's a monthly subscription that's more costly than Netflix. And if it's more than Netflix, it's a no-no for me.

Then there's google docs and microsoft word.

If you were talking about scripts as in code, then Visual Studio 2017 is my Go-To because they're really all the same to me.

P.S. Sorry I couldn't give links. I wasn't allowed to.

Google docs and microsoft word are not even good for script writing.

Script writing for a serious production is vital because the production has a quota of pages they have to shoot per day.
Movies try to shoot 4 pages a day. TV shows try to shoot 7 pages a day.

A serious production will literally measure segments of a script with a ruler then group segments together (usually based on location, or getting all a minor but important role's shots as fast as possible since you don't want to pay an actor extra day's/days' worth of labor for sitting around. Sometimes it happens though if the location is vital and they can't work around it).

If you are writing scripts then you want to learn how to format it. If you ever went to a potential investor, even if its for a movie you written and are directing; they would drop all interest if your script isn't formatted properly.

--------------------
I had celtx before. I don't remember paying for a monthly subscription fee either. In fact first result on google for the search "celtx" says it's free.

They may have a "pro" version that takes a monthly subscription but you'll get the essentials in the free version. Just make sure to watch some tutorials on how to properly format a script because it's vital for a production to measure the pages literally.

You can't sell a script if a production can't measure the pages.

Use google docs & word for home movies that you don't really care about doing well.

I had celtx before. I don't remember paying for a monthly subscription fee either. In fact first result on google for the search "celtx" says it's free.
Yeah, google docs and word are pretty crap if you're looking for that format. Possible, but really not great. I'm pretty sure he's not here for super high-production film-making. But if he is, good on him. And good luck. If you're just making youtube videos, don't do the formatting. It's not worth it. At all. I used to, and I stopped. It was just a waste of time, at least for me.

When I used Celtx, they kicked me out after my free trial was done, but maybe they stopped doing that. It has been a year since I've used it.

Yeah, google docs and word are pretty crap if you're looking for that format. Possible, but really not great. I'm pretty sure he's not here for super high-production film-making. But if he is, good on him. And good luck. If you're just making youtube videos, don't do the formatting. It's not worth it. At all. I used to, and I stopped. It was just a waste of time, at least for me.

When I used Celtx, they kicked me out after my free trial was done, but maybe they stopped doing that. It has been a year since I've used it.
You never might know where your craft will develop. Maybe when he feels more confident as a writer, he'll feel confident in writing scripts.

It's pretty easy to extra part time in certain cities (portland, or is a good one). I had a friend whose dad made props and his father, him, his mom and his brother were all extras in this independent movie. Like he must've been around 7 years old. His father was also in the art department for the movie. He's a real talented artist. Really likes steam punk and makes some great pieces. I'm talking about sculpting, anything; real talented guy.

Anyways my friend got back into it later on after I established a great friendship with him. He was in the Librarians and they really liked him on set (an assistant director is typically assigned to handle all the extras. There's a few of them on a production but only one handles all the extras.)
He originally was on a scene, I believe a campus, where he got to throw a frisbee around. He told me about they smoked some weed on set so that must have been a really good networking time for him. Anyways they called him back down because now they wanted him as an extra for the clubbing scene. True story

You don't need to go to film school to become a movie/tv show writer. Film makers are naturally born story tellers. A lot of people giving away the info for free on youtube or their own websites. You can set up your primary job to get you availability with weekends off, part time extra on weekends (some weekends even, doesn't even have to be every weekend). Then continue writing in the right format so maybe you can network your way in with a studio.

Even if it's not a major studio and it's some indie piece. Once a studio makes your script into a movie (even an indie one), it's easier to get into the writer's guild. Then major studios get the tone you know what the business is about. If you're not in the writers guild, major studios will try to have you sign some release so they practically get whatever you discussed in there for free. It's pretty asinine. You got to have the tone set by some studio making your script into a motion picture.

The writer's guild offers an easier way to declare your script/idea as yours but they don't just take anybody. Otherwise you got to file a copyright to defend the script as yours. Technically you get the copyright as soon as you write it, but it's hard to defend if it's not on the record. Some people use to mail themselves the script and kept it sealed but it's a measly defense; considering the post office knows how to unseal and reseal adhesive based packaging.

But yeah if you're going to write a script; might as well learn how to write it properly from the get go.The sooner the format is second nature, the better. Tons of free scripts online just a google search away.

Back