Script vs No Script - Which do you prefer?

Do you use a script when video planning?

• Total voters

WeiseGamer

Your #1 Source For Indie Gaming
Hey guys,

So I was curious in poll fashion what you all think about using scripts versus no scripts on a video. I know a lot can go into it such as genre, type of video / series, etc. But sometimes there's even a median, like more of a brainstorm of ideas but not a full script. Sometimes we free flow all of it. Others like to stay on script no matter what. What do you prefer?

For me, I do indie gaming mostly so personally, I like to brainstorm bullet points for any video I am doing a tutorial or review on, but do not write out a full word by word script. I have done it in the past, and my channel trailer in my signature doesn't sound too scripted in my opinion (though it totally was). I like the freeform aspect, but some don't. What about you?

I haven't written a script before, because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy it and it would be extremely flawed. I upload for fun and with scripts, I guess it takes the fun AND personality out of the videos. Scripts are great if you're a good writer. I personally prefer a more improvisational method.

However I have been studying styles and types of comedy. I want to make myself a bit more fun and noticible. :D

Depends on what it is. When i do reviews,top10s,animation or other i will write scripts. If it's let's plays then i will wing it since it is a let's play. And for news i will take notes but ultimately wing it. It also depends on how you want to do it as some peolple may have trouble just hoping on a mic or camera and talking and would instead write a script.

I've personally always seen scripts to be great for when you have a preconceived model that you want your video to reflect. Free-styling is great when you want raw thoughts and uncensored emotion to what ever you are talking about.

I don't plan anything really.
On my main channel we are two, so it's not really difficult to just figure out something to talk about.

And on my solo channel I just find things to talk about that are related to the game, or just something I just thought of right there and then.

If I were to do a review or something I would make a script/bullet list, though. But I'm not really the reviewy type as I don't have strong opinions on anything. lol

Well for me,I HAVE to write. I'm easily distracted,and when I wing it,I often mess up very easily. So writing is the only way for me to get through a video. I'am a very good speaker,but I shake a lot,and tend to talk fast,so if I can write it,I will. I also find it easier to get jokes down. If I try to remember jokes off the top of my head, I will miss a lot of the good ones I had. So I write it all down.

Yeah I have to make scripts but it's mostly because of the type of videos I create. For discussion stuff I'll try do key points of stuff I need to address but If I ain't satisfied with it I'll write all my thoughts down in a concise conversational matter. I've gotten used to script writing and outlines because I wouldn't feel I was trying If I wasn't formulating my Ideas to the best of my ability and really getting some concrete Ideas.

My whole Idea and writing process begins when I write down anything I personally find funny which comes to mind. It could be a joke, phrase, idea, or something I saw on TV or the Internet that I can put a slant on that makes me laugh. It is here I'll really try to flesh out what I can do with all the things I listed. Secondly, I'll make an outline of my videos. I'll come up with what the video is about and what's going to be in it. However I've been thinking of overhauling this process of video creation or at least add another step between my first two wherein I just go crazy on paper and really hammer out details.

After all that is done I get to writing my scripts. Even here I won't exactly know what I want do but it's all very much like a storyboard not just dialogue. When writing everything out I'll try to be as specific as possible when it comes to capturing what I want to see in the video. Furthermore, I'll have at least two other drafts for each script I come up with. Of course, I'll edit these scripts and change them up how I see fit. Once the script is done though I'll still sit around and dwell on it. The thing I hate most about screenwriting and scripts is that I'll come up with an Idea later that could have worked well in a video I've already done. Anyway, that's what I do. It's all very time consuming but I find it to be worth it.

I prefer scripts, at least we don't have problems of uhmms when the person does not know what to say, and it's also possible to keep a good flow for the review.

I just use a small whiteboard with all the main ideas on it (point form style) and so far it's worked for me!

It's crazy how close the poll is!

I agree with a lot of you. I normally free flow but have some kind of brainstorming or bullet point type notes so I stay on a general topic and hit key points.

Back