Royalty free on a monetised video?

Gareth_85

Hey guys

I am looking at using a soundtrack on youtube in a documentary video that I am making. The track is a classic royalty free track but I am unsure if it is suitable to use on a monetised video or not?

It seems that all the royalty free videos on youtube use the same "Standard YouTube Licence" within the description but does not give any information on if this can be monetised?

I have found the track for download and use within my video as a paid download for monetise but am worried that this will be flagged if it is not suitable?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Gareth

Last edited:
Hey guys

I am looking at using a soundtrack on youtube in a documentary video that I am making. The track is a classic royalty free track but I am unsure if it is suitable to use on a monetised video or not?

It seems that all the royalty free videos on youtube use the same "Standard YouTube Licence" within the description but does not give any information on if this can be monetised?

I have found the track for download and use within my video as a paid download for monetise but am worried that this will be flagged if it is not suitable?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Gareth

I use royalty free or copyright free music in my videos consistently, and I've never been flagged on it when trying to monetize. You should be good!

Be careful tho, because royalty free is not the same copyright free. If I were you I'd contact the owner of the song and ask them directly. At least that's what I do.

Be careful tho, because royalty free is not the same copyright free. If I were you I'd contact the owner of the song and ask them directly. At least that's what I do.

He makes a good point. Just make sure you are always crediting artists in your description. Lots of royalty free artists are okay with that.

It is not illegal to use royalty free music in a monetized video.
Although, be careful your not using popular mainstream royalty free music as if the artist decides to copyright the music, they can take down your video even if it was created before hand. it has happened to Youtubers i've watched

There are different types of royalty-free licensing. Make sure that you read the license for the particular track you want to use. That license must allow for commercial use if you are to monetize your video. Many RF licenses state the material is "for personal use only" or "for non-commercial use only".

There are different types of royalty-free licensing. Make sure that you read the license for the particular track you want to use. That license must allow for commercial use if you are to monetize your video. Many RF licenses state the material is "for personal use only" or "for non-commercial use only".

Very good point

Thank you very much for helping :)

I will check that the licence includes commercial use and monetisation before purchasing it and using it. It's like a minefield!

Thank you very much for helping :)

I will check that the licence includes commercial use and monetisation before purchasing it and using it. It's like a minefield!
This is one of the reasons I started creating my own music. Even if you have the correct license, Content ID may tag you and force you to dispute a claim. That turned out to be the last straw for me...constantly getting claims on music I had paid to license.

Back